Vehicle Technician - Launch Operations III (R39293)
Space Coast, FL, United States
15 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is a part of the Test & Flight Operations team, providing centralized support to business units with a focus on the design, build, and maintenance of the ground systems, test, and launch facilities across multiple locations.
As part of a hardworking team of diverse technicians, you will be responsible for assisting engineering in test operations, fabrication, maintenance, and Flight/test article integration for various New Glenn boosters, specialized equipment, and flight hardware. We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Launch vehicle operation, maintenance, and assembly
- Launch vehicle integration and checkout
- Assembly, fabrication and routing of pressurization and propellant tubing
- Installation and checkout of wire harnesses and instrumentation
- Perform second party verifications and hardware inspections to engineering models, drawings, specifications, and written procedures
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and correct malfunctions by modification, rework, repair, and/or maintenance
- General trouble shooting of instrumentation, valves, leaks, etc.
- Reviewing, editing, and following Test Procedures
- Operation of test and launch facility systems
- Safely working with hazardous chemicals and high-pressure systems
- Working understanding of standard operational safety practices
- Demonstrate a strong bias for safety in operations
- Planning and communicating assembly steps for complex mechanical installations
- Providing design feedback on the test stand and test article(s)
- Flexibility to support launch campaigns as required – this may mean shift work or extended hours based on testing needs
- Working with engineers on design concepts/improvements and development tests
- 5-10 years of experience in test or launch facility support, testing rocket or jet engines, flight vehicle systems, or closely related applications
- Demonstrated ability to work with:
- Test, flight, and safety critical hardware
- Instrumentation, sensors, and electronics
- Standard mechanical tools and fabrication shop equipment
- Experience with pneumatic systems, propellant loading, and off-loading systems
- Must have to ability to wear respiratory protection equipment and apparel.
- Familiarity with tube fabrication (bend, flare, fittings, etc.), piping systems, and pressurized system safety
- Involvement in test or launch facility construction, operation, and maintenance
- Ability to read and interpret drawings – P&IDs, fabrication drawings
- Ability to work at elevations exceeding 40 feet, in personnel lifts and moveable work platforms, including the ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Ability to work in confined spaces. Kneeling, bending, and handling weights up to 35 lbs.
- Work 1st,2nd or 3rd shift, as well as overtime, when necessary.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- IPC620 certification or demonstrated knowledge of wiring fabrication and components
- Experience in aerospace avionics/harnessing, related fields and avionics manufacturing
- Solid understanding of a variety of rocket propellants, including liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen, liquid methane, hypergolic fluids and/or other hazardous systems
- Willing and able work with and around hypergolic propellants and/or other hazardous commodities
- Operate various material handling equipment including forklifts, overhead cranes, aerial lifts, flight vehicle and subassembly transportation equipment, truck-trailer combinations and other ground support equipment as required
- MIG/TIG, orbital welding experience
- Knowledge in the use of computer programs such as AutoCAD or machine programs
- SCAPE/SCBA/ELSA experience
- Ordnance install/remove/handling experience
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.