Senior Operations Engineer – Cryogenics (R39278)
Space Coast, FL, United States
19 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is a part of the Test & Flight Operations team, providing centralized support to business units with a focus on the design, build, and maintenance of the ground systems, test, and launch facilities across multiple locations.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers and technicians, you will contribute to the test and operation of the New Glenn orbital launch vehicle. As a Launch Operations Engineer, you will report to the Director of New Glenn Launch Vehicle Operations. You will be responsible for processing your systems, from receipt of the New Glenn stages at the launch site through launch and landing. You will help develop and maintain production schedules, quality documents, and engineering. You will work with other element teams to develop operational requirements and advocate for design-for-operations. As a test conductor, you will author detailed procedures and help develop test equipment to complete integrated flight systems testing. As a task leader, you will accomplish your assignments by managing a team of technicians and engineers while ensuring the safety of the team and the vehicle. As a member of the Launch Operations team, you will ensure the launch vehicle and associated ground systems are prepared for flight. To prepare for launch, you will develop ground software requirements, write sequencer code, and help create controller panels. You will have the opportunity to earn certification as a launch controller, ultimately operating your assigned systems on launch day. You will determine and correct anomaly causes, often during time-critical operations. After flight, you will perform data reviews and incorporate process improvements.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrable background in cryogenic propellant or fluid handling systems, including feedlines, pumps, rocket engines, valves, tubes, and instrumentation. Experience in the design, analysis, assembly, test, or operation of aerospace fluid systems is highly desired.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- B.S. Degree in Engineering, Science, or Math
- 8+ years of demonstrated technical expertise in cryogenic, propellant handling, or engine systems
- Knowledge of propellant loading and transfer processes
- Ability to write technical procedures, non-conformance documentation, and specifications
- Strong personnel coaching and mentoring skills
- Strong operations planning and organizational skills
- Ability to support occasional off shift work schedules
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Recent experience with launch vehicle integration and launch operations
- Ability to perform fluid flow estimate calculations
- Control room or operations experience in a real-time, intense, and high consequence environment
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop (HWIL), software-in-the-loop (SWIL), or simulations testing
- Successful experience leading teams who integrate multiple subsystems to meet a top-level system requirement
- Strong safety record and mindset, including hands-on experience planning and conducting hazardous or critical tests and operations
- Experience leading test teams as a Test Conductor, Test Engineer, or engineering lead
- Effective project management, budget management, and team leadership skills
- Knowledgeable in Qt/QML, Simulink, MATLAB, Python, or Git
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.