Sr Engineering Manager - SW Applications Lead
Broomfield, CO, United States
3 months ago
Sierra Space-based in Louisville, CO with operations in Madison, WI, Durham, NC, Huntsville, AL, Houston, TX, and Kennedy Space Center, FL—designs and manufactures the Dream Chaser spaceplane and other advanced spacecraft, commercial space destinations, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers, and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
The SW Applications Sr. Manager reports to the SW Product Development Director and is responsible for managing the SW Applications team and their products across all business sectors. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Leading the team through the design, development, test, and certification of SW tools/applications
- Creating and maintaining mission critical software tools and applications
- Providing access to mission critical data through a variety of formats
- Implementing best practices for developing maintainable production ready software products
- Creating and maintaining comprehensive software documentation including, but not limited to: Software Requirements, Software User Guides, and Software Test Plans
- Coordinating and collaborating across multi-discipline/multi-organizational teams to understand key aspects of various subsystems, safety requirements, and operational requirements
- Managing daily operations required to support Sierra Space stakeholder and customer needs
- Managing risks, opportunities, cost, schedule, and staffing across multiple programs
- Managing direct reports including tasking, timecards, training, mentoring, and performance evaluation management
- Bachelor of Science degree in a related discipline and typically 12 or more years of relevant technical experience
- Advanced knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Extensive experience with Computer Aided Engineering tools, analysis and simulation
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
- Typically, 6-8 years of relevant leadership and/or project management experience
- RPO, Modeling, STK, GN&C, computer vision, robotics, attitude control, and/or Machine Learning experience
- Well versed in,
- Agile development methods and scrum experience
- Experience designing and developing maintainable production applications
- Ability to work independently on fast paced flight software tool development
- Previous management experience; exposure to recruiting employees; assigning, directing, and evaluating their work; and overseeing the development and maintenance of staff competence
- Experience with identifying and coordinating resources to ensure the required tools, processes, and training are available/effective and programs are staffed and supported to achieve success
- Understanding of how to prepare project schedules, budgets, bids, and estimates for proposed program work packages
- Background in the Aerospace and Defense Industry, the US Department of Defense or US Military
- Ability to motivate/work with others
- Prior exposure to working successfully in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment emphasizing rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities, with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required. Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Estimated Starting Salary Range:$159,430.15 - $239,145.23
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.