Supervisor Subassembly - 2nd Shift (R36862)
Huntsville, AL, United States
20 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of Blue Origin Operations, which is comprised of Integrated Supply Chain, Facilities, and Security. This includes Manufacturing and Supply Chain support across all Blue Origin facilities.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you should have an excellent technical understanding of complex assemblies and production environments preferably in propulsion environments. This role will involve the management of technicians on the production floor in the area of Rocket Engine assemblies, which includes skill sets ranging from failure analysis, Lean manufacturing, project management to tight tolerance stack up analysis to final mechanical assembly. Overseeing day to day tasks of technicians as well as scheduling, mentoring, and cross functional team engagement.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Relocation provided
- Travel may be required up to 10% of the time
- Shifts available: Night Shift
- Monday- Thursday: 3:00 PM- 1:30 AM
- Coordinate and steer the collective efforts of all engine assembly production technicians
- Implement area standards and operational rules (includes annual reviews, regular mentoring and disciplinary action)
- Collaborate with area leadership from around the factory and prioritize work based on production schedule and organizational goals
- Schedule risk identification and mitigation
- Coordinate support organization efforts to minimize production interruptions
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications
- Disposition non-conforming hardware to efficiently return them to conforming state and normal product flow
- Improve area safety and efficiency through regular auditing and continuous improvement
- Establish and analyze area metrics for trend extrapolation to drive the following:
- Personnel training and development
- Development and implementation of efficiency improvement projects
- Optimization of product flow through the factory
- Root cause analysis and the implementation of corresponding corrective action plans
- Identification and elimination of defects within the area value stream
- Reduction of downtime for product and personnel
- Lead efforts to transition product from engineering development to full rate production
- Review drawings and technical data packages for manufacturability, provide constructive feedback to engineering/design community.
- Minimum of 3 years in a leadership position
- Associate's degree or 5+ years of experience manufacturing environment.
- Lean manufacturing training and experience
- Experience monitoring, tracking and continually improving cost
- Experience with applying lean manufacturing principles, efficiency methods required
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret controlled documentation and processes such as: mechanical drawings, GD&T, assembly procedures / work instructions, schematics, engineering drawings, and parts lists
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturability, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and Failure Mode Effects Analysis
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment
- Proficient with computers, the ability to use MS Office, shop floor management software (ERP) and related programs
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift 35 lbs. unassisted, stoop, bend, crawl, and maneuver in tight spaces
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Bachelor's degree
- Leadership position leading a team of 15+ people
- Experience preferred in fast-paced production environment with flight quality hardware
- Six Sigma Certification
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.