Sr Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Processing Analyst
8 days ago
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We are on the hunt for a Senior Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Processor Analyst at our Richmond, BC, Canada office, to be a part of the next generation of Earth Observations space missions.
From detecting changes in fragile ecosystems to monitoring northern ice floes and shipping routes, our near-real time Earth observation data makes our Geointelligence team a leader in geospatial imagery, ground stations, enterprise geospatial systems and defence programs. You will join our remote sensing team that has 30+ years of experience delivering commercial and government projects such as RADARSAT-2, RapidEye, Sapphire, CASSIOPE, RADARSAT Constellation Mission and now the CHORUS Constellation of SAR satellites.
This is a role suited for an ambitious professional wanting to solve complex problems and develop novel algorithms that contribute to the betterment of our world. You will contribute to our world leading Synthetic Aperture Radar processors by developing novel signal processing algorithms that generate high value imagery and real-time actionable intelligence for our customers.
As a Senior Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Processor Analyst, you may have a wide range of responsibilities that include:
- Develop novel signal processing algorithms to push the boundaries of SAR performance (resolution, swath width, Moving Target Indication (MTI) and more);
- Design, develop, maintain and enhance high quality SAR processor models and prototypes using current best practices in architecture and software development;
- Participate in trade-off studies and find solutions to ensure algorithms are implementable on real hardware (processor and radar HW);
- Investigate, troubleshoot, determine root causes and mitigate signal processing errors or induced artefacts in SAR image products;
- Performs system level analyses and develops models to predict and test system performance;
- Develops solutions to improve image quality;
- Develops and executes calibration plans for SAR missions;
- Coordinates SAR processing requirements and development with other stakeholders (payload team, applications, business development);
- Generates clear and thorough written reports documenting complex algorithms and technical performance; and
- Mentoring and coaching of junior team members.
- Undergraduate degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Math, Physics, or a combination of related education and experience;
- 8 years of experience working in an engineering or technical environment or 4 years with a relevant post graduate degree ;
- 6 or more years working on complex signal processing systems (e.g. Radar, Medical Imaging, Sonar, etc);
- Solid understanding of the principles and practices concerning the design of high speed and high throughput data analysis and transmission;
- Ability and knowledge to work with MATLAB, Python or C++;
- Self-starter with the ability to perform in a dynamic working environment;
- Possess excellent problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to explain concepts to wide-ranging audiences (e.g. technical team, sales team, executives, customers, etc); and
- The ability to work within a large organization and understand dependencies and stakeholder needs.
- A post-graduate degree in a field involving complex signal processing;
- Appreciation of SAR remote sensing, including system design, operation, applications/exploitation and calibration;
- Appreciation for satellite based SAR Payload design and operations;
- Appreciation and understanding of modern software development methodologies;
- Experience in different types of engineering life cycles as applicable from large complex programs to software development;
- Appreciation for algorithm implementation on FPGA;
- Ability to learn new technologies and space borne remote sensing domain knowledge quickly; and
- A strong understanding of geospatial data.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
The compensation range for this position is $98,000 - $144,100 annually. The specific compensation offered will be based on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the RELIABILITY status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.