2024 Mechanical System Undergraduate Intern
El Segundo, CA, United States
22 days ago
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Aerospace Corporation is hiring an Under-graduate-level Mechanical Systems Intern for an opportunity located in El Segundo, California.
The group provides technical support in the following areas: design, analysis, integration, and testing of moving mechanical assemblies in space vehicles. All members of the section dynamically interact with other experts within the Aerospace Corporation, program offices, customers, and contractors to ensure mission success and national security.
This position will be located 100% onsite in El Segundo, CA
What You’ll Be Doing
- Perform analytical modeling of moving mechanical assemblies on space, launch, and reentry vehicles
- Use existing tools or develop new tools to assess mechanical component design and perform multi-body dynamics analyses
- Develop analytical techniques, concepts, and tools
- Support laboratory activities, including planning, executing, and analyzing test data
- Prepare reports and deliver oral presentations as needed
What Corporate Skills You’ll Bring
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Possess organizational, time management and project management skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt to changing organizational need
- Interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
What You Need to be Successful
- Currently enrolled full-time in an accredited college/university program pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline
- Availability to work full-time for a minimum of 10 weeks outside of university term and ability to return to a degree program full-time after completion of the internship.
- Sophomore class standing completed by internship start date
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Familiar with SolidWorks or equivalent, Python, Linux, Labview or data acquisition software
- Courses taken in Mechanical Systems, Dynamics, Heat Transfer, and/or Design
- Experience using computational analysis
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance; which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Transcripts required
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Active security clearance
- Experience designing and constructing hardware
- Experience working both in a laboratory environment to run tests and with a computer to run computational analysis
Temporary housing assistance is not available.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)$25.00 - $26.00 - $28.00Pay Basis: Hourly
Our leadership philosophy is simple: every employee, regardless of level and role, can demonstrate leadership. At Aerospace, our commitment is our people. To cultivate our talent and ensure that we have a strong pipeline of future leaders, we want individuals who:
- Operate Strategically
- Lead Change
- Engage with Impact
- Foster Innovation
- Deliver Results
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
Flexible spending accounts
Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
Education assistance programs
An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.