Mojave, California, United States
23 days ago
Stratolaunch is developing hypersonic vehicles to support various Department of Defense and commercial applications. Stratolaunch seeks an Aero-Thermal Analyst II to support the thermal protection design and aero-thermal analysis of hypersonic vehicles. Candidates must have a strong aero-thermal background, with experience in supersonic or hypersonic vehicle development. Experience with aerospace vehicle design and aero-thermal analyses of hypersonic vehicles is highly desired.
As an Aero-Thermal Analyst, you will contribute by modeling the aero-thermal environment and analyzing the thermal protection system design of Stratolaunch hypersonic vehicles. You will perform analysis to evaluate the current Stratolaunch design, including evaluating margins, Thermal Protection System thickness, and interactions between the Thermal Protection System and the underlying structure. Additionally, you may perform conceptual design trade studies by performing aero-thermal analysis to help select material systems for Stratolaunch hypersonic vehicle designs.
- Perform analytical and numerical analyses to evaluate the aero-thermal performance and margins of Stratolaunch hypersonic vehicles
- Develop aero-thermal models for a variety of hypersonic configurations
- Analyze the current Stratolaunch Talon Thermal Protection System (TPS), including interactions between the TPS and the underlying structure, while providing resultant thermal environments of the structure
- Analyze the potential material systems as candidates to upgrade the Stratolaunch Talon Thermal Protection System (TPS), including contributing to system trade studies, evaluating margin, weight, and predictions of the underlying vehicle structure
- Contribute to analysis tool development
- Help resolve technical challenges, as required
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Support the preparation of business proposals to the US Government and industry
- Travel, as needed, to support the company
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Knowledge of, and experience with aero-thermal analysis, common Thermal Protection System materials, and aircraft/aerospace vehicle design
- Experience with supersonic and/or hypersonic aircraft theory and analyses
- Experience with aircraft/aerospace development and/or test
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to obtain a security clearance at the TS/SCI level
REQUIRED COMPUTER SKILLS:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Relevant aero-thermal analysis tools
- Analysis tools – FEMAP or NX Simcenter
- Programming – Python (preferred), or Matlab
- Experience with CBAERO
- Experience with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) – Link3D or US3D (preferred)
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software tools – NX (preferred), Solidworks, or CATIA
- Active security clearance
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Level II ($85,000-$123,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-5 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
· This position is located in Mojave, CA.
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: