Satellite Systems Engineer
10 days ago
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we will take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geo-intelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we are leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
Together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We are on the hunt for a Satellite Systems Engineer on our Satellite systems team at our Montreal office.
As the leading global independent commercial supplier of antennas, payloads, and electronics for communication and radar satellites, our team has successfully contributed to hundreds of missions in the past 60 years. With an extensive heritage in a wide range of solutions delivered to customers globally, our Satellite Systems team continues to grow and evolve on the ground and in the stars.
We are a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you are excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we will take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
As part of the System Engineering Department, the Satellite System Engineer will lead or support Mission Analysis and requirements, CONOPS, System design and performance budgets, performance analysis, implementation and testing in support of MDA Telecommunication Satellite Team.
The Satellite Systems engineer will perform and participate in the following tasks and activities, depending on the background and experience of the candidate.
- Lead, Develop and maintain the System requirements from the mission level down to the major subsystem level for Mechanical or Electrical standpoint (Platform, Payload, Ground Segment) based on Mission requirements and customer needs
- Mission design trade-off studies to design and develop the overall mission subsystems
- Development of performance budgets, design reports and CONOPS
- Support the mission development and analysis such as link budgets, coverage analyses, geolocation accuracy, pointing knowledge budgets, mass…
- Development and maintenance of ICDs (Interface Control Documents) between the major mission subsystems such as Platform to Payload.
- Review of design material provided by Subcontractors to ensure compliance to requirements and SOCs
- Satellite Modeling in a MBSE approach
- Development of Satellite test procedures and oversight of their execution.
- Verification & Validation of activities of the overall mission and development of operations procedures for on-orbit commissioning and routine operations of the mission.
- Monitor MDA’s suppliers and the integrated product team.
- Participate in the Satellite electrical and RF performance evaluation.
- Provide inputs and lead or support to all program reviews including EQSR, SRR, PDR, CDR.
- Support Satellite Assembly Integration and Test.
- Attend all test reviews TRR, TRB, DRB, and NCR’s.
- Support Satellite testing: EGSE, Test supervision, data analysis.
- Support Satellite tests at MDA, at test facilities or at S/C supplier premises.
- Support In-Orbit Test (IOT).
- Write Satellite procedures & Operations Manual.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in a relevant field with 5+ years of relevant experience
- Previous design and test experience with LEO/MEO satellites and sub-systems
- Understanding of the space environment and orbit mechanics
- Strong understanding of aerospace systems and engineering fundamentals
- Relevant Experience with testing of satellite subsystems
- Demonstrated capability to test RF systems and resolve problems
- Hands-on individual who can lead all systems integration processes
- Experience with qualification and acceptance testing of new designs
- High degree of attention to detail
- Demonstrated capability to efficiently work with little to no supervision
- Ability to distill complex problems to fundamentals to solve with analysis, similarity, or creativity
- Experience creating or using models and/or simulation software
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills in English; knowledge of French will be considered favorably
- Experience leading and coaching a technical team
- Support the spacecraft operations team in critical phases
#LI-PP1 #IND1 #SP
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
MDA Ltd. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, please indicate this on your application/cover letter and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.