Offshore Recovery Engineer (R39201)
Space Coast, FL, United States
15 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is a part of Test & Flight Operations team, providing centralized support to Business Units with the focus on design, build and maintenance of the ground systems, test and launch facilities across multiple locations.
The best kept secret in space exploration is the impact of marine assets and the use of one of earth’s most abundant resources, it’s oceans. The maritime industry has been paramount in the exploration of space since its early development. Hardware and crewed capsules have landed in the ocean with marine crews recovering hardware and astronauts since the early days of human spaceflight. As the commercial space industry expands and iterates on reusability to lower the cost of access to space, the importance of marine assets and the crews that operate those assets has never been more important. At Blue Origin, we are building a world class team that pushes the boundaries in space hardware recovery operations and delivers the simplest and best solutions to some of humanity’s most difficult problems. If you have the ambition, drive, determination, and skillset to change the world, we are looking to give you the platform to do so!
As part of a dedicated team, committed to pushing the boundaries of launch and recovery, you will support operations dedicated to at-sea space hardware recovery. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and reliable space hardware recovery operations. As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers, you will plan, manage, and operate complex recovery systems from activation thru ongoing operation. You will have an active involvement in the development, implementation, operation, and troubleshooting of Blue Origin marine assets and ground support equipment while performing hands-on work with the New Glenn flight hardware.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Devise and implement day of launch mission criteria to allow recovery and safing of flight vehicle hardware
- Identify vessels and support equipment needed to successfully recover flight hardware offshore
- Develop operational procedures to safe, secure, transport, and operate flight hardware and GSE offshore
- Active involvement in functional checkouts, maintenance, and commissioning of equipment
- Manage & troubleshoot offshore systems in real-time through all phases of launch & landing operations
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering and 3-5 years of marine or aerospace experience
- Experience with critical operations where real-time decision-making affected success criteria
- Strong personnel, planning, and project management skills
- Strong safety record and mindset, including hands-on experience planning and conducting hazardous or critical tests and operations
- Ability to operate, make decisions, lead, and make forward progress in ambiguous environments
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally within a geographically disperse organization
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Ability to work offshore on maritime vessels supporting recovery operations, and for extended periods of time
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Merchant Mariner Credential, which includes pre-employment and random drug testing as well as a DOT Physical
- Must be able to obtain Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Understanding of development product lifecycle management and associated gated reviews
- Familiarity with offshore maritime regulations (ie USCG CFRs, ABS, DNV)
- Experience coding, operating, and troubleshooting remote-operated ground control systems
- Experience in marine offshore operations
- Testing experience, including setting test objectives, writing test plans, and hands-on testing
- Experience with one or more of the following: high-pressure gas systems, hydraulic systems, or cryogenic rocket propellants
- Proficiency in business and engineering software (i.e. MS Office, Windchill, PLM, etc)
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.