Senior Structures Analyst - CLD (R38180)
Los Angeles, CA, United States
15 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This position is part of the Space Systems Development (SSD) business unit. SSD develops next-generation concepts and systems to advance our future of living and working in space sustainably.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
These opportunities report to the Structures and Mechanisms Team inside of the Orbital Reef Program. As part of a growing, hardworking, and curious team of design engineers, you’ll be deployed to programs that shape the future of Blue Origin. Your skill in the analysis of spacecraft structures to support delivery of safe, reliable, ready to install hardware that meets requirements, while doing so within the allocated cost and schedule requirements, will lead to a rewarding career with Blue Origin.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analysis of primary and secondary spacecraft structures
- Integration of structural analysis with loads and dynamics environments
- Finite Element Model development, refinement, validation, and correlation to tests
- Strength checks and analysis report generation
- Test and verification plan and report generation
- Support configuration development and trade studies
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical, aerospace or civil engineering
- Level 4 Requirement: 8+ years of experience
- Solid foundation of structural static/dynamic fundamentals
- Passion for spacecraft structural/environmental loads development/validation
- Ability to solve a variety of static and dynamic structural problems using physics-based analytical methods (hand calculations, in-house tools, and 3rd party commercial analytical tools)
- Experience with aircraft, spacecraft, launch vehicle, or automotive in some of the following areas:
- External loads
- Vibro-acoustic analysis
- Analysis using Nastran, Ansys, Abaqus, LS-Dyna, or Optistruct
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Vehicle load path definition and strength analysis
- Analysis of metallic and/or composite structures (skin-stringer, fittings, sandwich panels, etc)
- Composite design and analysis skills in any thermoset, thermoplastic, metal matrix and ceramic matrix composites
- Manufacturing methods, material selection, testing, characterization & allowables development
- Experience testing materials, joints, components and vehicles
- Structural optimization using standard industry codes (Optistruct, HyperSizer, Nastran Sol 200, etc)
- Experience with ProEngineer Wildfire 4 / Creo Parametric or greater
- Experience with Human spaceflight
- Experience with composites
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.