Systems Engineer III - Blue Engines (R37979)
Seattle, WA, United States
10 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of the Blue Origin Engines business unit, where our focus is the design, development, manufacturing and testing of engines and propulsion systems. Built for multiple uses, our family of engines is powering the next generation of rockets for commercial, civil, national security and human spaceflight.
As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers, you will be directly involved in the development and delivery of engine systems supporting a variety of customers and customer needs. This includes various lifecycles of engine development, including requirements development and decomposition, technical trade study support, risk management, verification planning and execution, and a myriad of other systems engineering-related activities. These responsibilities will require a wide application of sophisticated systems engineering principles, theories and concepts plus a strong understanding of other related subject areas. In this role, you will assist the Engines team with coordination and planning and will participate in process improvement activities. You will adopt and advocate for system engineering and integration practices across fields and teams in areas of system analysis, design, or integrated testing. You will directly impact the future of space flight and help us make progress towards our mission of building the road to space through reusable rockets. Join us in advancing our vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth!
In this position, you will work on a wide range of applications of liquid rocket engine technology. From monopropellant In-Space thrusters to re-usable liquid natural gas (LNG) staged combustion engines. Systems engineers are responsible for understanding these engines and making vital technical decisions that will impact the success of each of the programs.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate and guide system design and development at all stages of development lifecycle, beginning with requirements capture and flow-down, through preliminary design, critical design, product realization, design verification testing, system integration, qualification, certification, and delivery
- Develop, manage and allocate requirements & interfaces and ensure requirements are accurately linked
- Implement systems engineering activities in accordance with system engineering standards and practices
- Support gated reviews
- Develop and mature Concept of Operations documents
- Coordinate consistent System Safety products for our engines, ensuring that no gaps exist in the analysis performed by the subsystem engineers
- Review verification records (test plans, test reports, analysis reports, inspection reports, etc.) to ensure the appropriate rigor
- Ensure all aspects of the system are working to the accurate configuration including drawings, interface control documents, and the design description documents
- Participate in specialty engineering (operability, reliability, maintainability, supportability) integration, analysis and verification
- Act as the negotiator between multiple and sometimes conflicting interests in order to make sure the system as a whole is optimized
- Working with launch vehicle customers and test sites, create interface definition and design specification documents from engineering documentation. Respond to all facets of customer’s vehicle operability questions during all life-cycle phases of design, development, test and launch.
- Effectively communicate development status, risks, and challenges
- Track, evaluate and report on system metrics
- Support engine level trade studies
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in engineering or another technical field
- 5+ years system development/integration experience
- Knowledge of current systems engineering and integration tools and methodologies, in a safety-critical environment
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work effectively in teams, demonstrated execution and coordination skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams through direct authority or through influence
- Experience with systems engineering tools such as DOORS, DNG, Jama, or similar
- Experience with Atlassian collaboration tools Jira and Confluence
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- 2+ years of experience with liquid rocket engines or propulsion
- Experience in reliability, maintainability and supportability analysis and execution
- System Safety analysis experience including Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, and Functional Hazard Analysis
- Basic project management skills
- Demonstrated configuration management experience
- Experience with failure investigations
- Experience supporting proposals
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.