Mfg Engineer III - Weld - Weekend Day Shift (R38709)
Huntsville, AL, United States
19 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of Blue Origin Operations, which is comprised of Integrated Supply Chain, Facilities, and Security. This includes Manufacturing and Supply Chain support across all Blue Origin facilities.
As part of a small, passionate team of experts, you will be responsible for the manufacturing definition, development, evaluation, improvement, and scaling the processes in your area of expertise. You will work closely with production operators, quality inspectors, test engineers, process engineers, and designers. We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills and commitment to quality to positively impact millions of people living and working in space. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Relocation provided
- Travel expected up to 5% of the time
- Shifts available:
- Weekend Day Shift
- Interviews will include a technical assessment
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical leadership and expertise in the fields of: TIG Welding, Laser Cutting / Marking / Welding, and Cladding
- Identify and Lead process improvement initiatives for manufacturing rate-enablement
- Provide shipside support to operations and be the technical point of contact during execution of processes
- Disposition non-conformances and rectify root cause
- Lead root cause analysis investigations and identify problem source
- Promptly clear production blocks with strong decision-making skills and a 2-way door vs 1-way door methodology
- Identify, define, and procure tooling and fixtures to meet manufacturing definition
- Challenge unnecessary requirements and drive the appropriate actions to eliminate when applicable
- Review designs for manufacturability, process efficiency, and operator safety
- Transform design definition into consumable step-by-step instructions for manufacturing
- Integrate safety, specifications, standards, and best practices into manufacturing definition
- Define, develop, implement and optimize process instructions for areas within your process expertise
- Evaluate and improve process flow, design requirements, and manufacturing methods
- Support gated reviews for new. product development
- Conduct PFMEA studies, mitigate risks and document work instructions
- Summarize, document, and communicate testing results to stakeholders
- BS of Engineering or Engineering Related Field
- 5+ years of relevant engineering experience
- Strong technical understanding and work experience in the fields of expertise noted in the responsibilities section
- Experience working with design engineers, tooling engineers, safety, planners, operations, and quality in a fast-paced productivity driven work environment
- Experience authoring and writing work instructions into an electronic MES system
- Proven ability to independently make meaningful positive change through significant process improvements with strong decision making skills
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Strong digital literacy (MS Office, MS Project, MS Visio, and Agile Management tools such as Jira, Confluence or AirTable)
- Experience with 3D modeling software
- Experience with crane lifts of high value hardware
- Ability to develop processes compliant to industry quality systems such as AS9100
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.