GN&C Systems Engineer III - Lunar (R38564)
Phoenix, AZ, United States
19 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of the Lunar Permanence business unit, which develops Blue Origin’s multiple Blue Moon lander product lines. To further Blue Origin's mission of having millions of people living and working in space, we are building sustainable infrastructure for our transport of crew and cargo from Earth to the lunar surface.
As part of a hardworking team of diverse spacecraft development engineers, you will be responsible for systems engineering products for the Guidance Navigation and Control (GN&C) subsystem and its components. You will participate in derivation and development of subsystem requirements, performing analyses and trade studies to validate requirements, and maintaining subsystem specification, budgets, and performance metrics. You will collaborate with the vehicle systems engineering, propulsion, structures, and dynamics teams to ensure design coordination to meet the vehicle performance deliverables. You will need to be able to communicate technical information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Support early feasibility studies, subsystem architecture development, definition of subsystem and component trade space, and concept of operations
- Derive and develop subsystem requirements, perform analyses and trades to validate requirements, and maintain subsystem specification, budgets and performance metrics
- Collaborate with other subsystems and spacecraft systems engineers to support define subsystem boundaries and interfaces
- Support the definition, development, and execution of simulations and tools necessary for verification of subsystem functionalities
- Support verification and testing, ensuring the subsystem complies to its requirements
- B.S. in aerospace, mechanical, electrical, or systems engineering
- Applied industry experience and/or M.S. or Ph.D. focused on development of requirements, interfaces, trades and analyses for GN&C subsystems
- Experience in modeling GN&C components, and analyzing performance of GN&C subsystem or components via simulation, testing, or analytical methods
- Understands relationship between GN&C, vehicle sizing, and vehicle automation
- Knowledge in control, navigation, and astrodynamics fundamentals
- Experience in Matlab/Simulink
- Experienced in configuration and product data management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- M.S. or PhD in aerospace engineering or related technical field
- Experience in development, implementation, and testing of guidance, navigation, and control algorithms on aerospace vehicles
- Experience working with GN&C sensors and actuators
- Experience in full development lifecycle of spacecraft GN&C subsystems
- Experience with Rendezvous Proximity Operations and Docking
- Experience designing and evaluating Monte Carlo simulations, hardware-in-the-loop, and software-in-the-loop testing
- Experience with performing system safety analyses including Functional Hazard Assessments (FHA), Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analyses (FMECA), and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Confluence and JIRA
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.