Materials & Processes Engineer III - Engines Avionics (R39089)
Los Angeles, CA, United States
19 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers, you will be responsible for the materials and processes (M&P) used to produce electronic assemblies in Blue Origin’s Engines. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of materials and processes used to build printed wiring assemblies (PWA), circuit card assemblies (CCA), cables, harnesses, and instruments; as well as a rigorous systems engineering mentality. You will be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on solders and soldering, encapsulants, conformal coating, plating, staking compounds, and other materials/processes for electronic components.
Your tasks will include conducting multidisciplinary problem-solving activities and proposing solutions to prototype and manufacturing challenges. (i.e., design for manufacturability) to produce PWB, CCA, cables, and harnesses. You will also work collaboratively with manufacturing, quality, suppliers, and service providers on the development, prototype, and production of electronic assemblies. Additionally, you will develop Blue Origin standard drawing notes corresponding to this hardware.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- B.S. degree or higher in engineering – material science & engineering strongly preferred.
- At least 5+ years of professional work experience in a related industry.
- Industry experience developing and producing printed wiring boards (PWB), controllers, circuit card assemblies (CCA), cables, and harnesses.
- Experienced in applying commercial and military specifications and standards related to printed wiring assembly (PWA), controllers, cables and harnesses.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time – either to suppliers or to our Kent, WA location.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct multidisciplinary rapid problem-solving activities and propose solutions to prototype and production manufacturing challenges. (i.e., design for manufacturability).
- Expertise in applying relevant commercial and military specifications and standards, such as IPC (institute of Printed Circuits) standards related to PWA, CCA, cables and harnesses, and soldering.
- Expertise in developing solder, encapsulants, staking compounds, plating, and conformal coatings callout on drawings for electronic assemblies.
- First-hand expertise in evaluating material/part/assembly analysis of PWB, CCA, electronic assemblies, cable and harnesses both non-destructively and destructively.
- Experience in Tin whisker, red plague, and corrosion mitigation of PWB, CCA, electronic assemblies, cable and harnesses
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.