Principal Thermal Spacecraft Engineer (R39155)
Seattle, WA, United States
11 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
The role is part of the In-Space Systems business unit, which is focused on development, manufacturing, and operation of satellite systems to address one of the most compelling challenges in spaceflight today: space mobility. As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers (use as appropriate), you will contribute to the definition and development of spacecraft thermal control systems. The Sr. Thermal Spacecraft Engineer is an individual contributor within Blue Origin’s In-Space Systems Business Unit – Blue Ring Platform. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail.
• Relocation provided
• Travel expected up to 25% of the time
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Drives the development of thermal systems including system architecture definition, thermal system modeling, component sizing, and design.
- Perform trade studies relating to selection of material and subsystem hardware.
- Perform hand calculations to screen concepts without detailed modeling and to sanity check finite element model results.
- Develop vehicle-level thermal models using SINDA/FLUINT with Thermal Desktop.
- Develop and maintain system analysis documentation.
- Perform steady state & transient thermal analysis of spacecraft thermal systems as well as tracking of system performance in ground ops, TVAC testing, launch, Earth orbit, and beyond Earth orbit environments.
- Provide thermal engineering leadership & support for the development of thermal vacuum (TVAC) test procedures, scripts and installation designs.
- Provide thermal engineering leadership & support for thermal hardware procurement, planning, procedural & operations support of Spacecraft assembly, integration & test (AI&T) efforts.
- • Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering.
- Solid understanding of thermal fundamentals.
- Experience in design, analysis, and testing of spacecraft thermal systems.
- Proficient in Thermal analysis, specifically in Thermal Desktop and Sinda/Fluint, including model validation and test correlation.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Successful candidates typically have 12+ years of relevant proven experience in design, analysis, and test of spacecraft thermal systems.
- M.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- Experience solving a variety of thermal-fluid problems demonstrating breadth in analysis application.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (e.g., Python, C/C++,).
- Depth of experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Thermal Vacuum test planning and execution
- Spacecraft/payload thermal analysis
- Active or Passive Thermal Control System
- Spacecraft Thermal hardware design, installation & testing
- Thermal hardware such as radiators, Multi-Layer Insulation (MLI), heaters, thermostats, pumps, valves, sensors, thermostats, heat pipes, ablative materials, sublimators, and/or phase change materials
- Spacecraft Thermal system on-orbit operations support
- Thermal Vacuum test planning and execution
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.