Navigation Flight Software Engineer I - Lunar (R39065)
Reston, VA, United States
11 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of the Lunar Permanence business unit, which develops Blue Origin’s multiple Blue Moon lander product lines. To further Blue Origin's mission of having millions of people living and working in space, we are building sustainable infrastructure for our transport of crew and cargo from Earth to the lunar surface.
As part of one of this hardworking team, you will tackle the end-to-end development process of state estimation and navigation algorithms for our landers. You will work closely with other simulation and GN&C engineers to seamlessly integrate navigation with the rest of the GN&C system.
You will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedication and attention towards safe and reliable spaceflight. You will work directly with NASA and our National Team Partners as part of the Human Landing System (HLS) Sustaining Lunar Development (SLD) program. You will play a key role in developing the Lunar Transportation system that will return humans to the Moon and extend human presence permanently beyond the bounds of Earth.
We are looking for our engineers to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the software development process for navigation algorithms, culminating with its deployment onto a target platform for real-time execution
- Verify the navigation software implementation via a closed loop and open Monte Carlo, and unit testing
- Contribute to the development and deployment of embedded software, including sensor I/O
- Work along the navigation team in the development and test of embedded navigation software including sensor and sensor-data management using MATLAB/Simulink, C, or C++
- Collaborate on the implementation of the processor-in-the-loop, software-in-the-loop, and hardware-in-the-loop testing, on-vehicle functional testing, and flight testing
- Support the development of state estimation and sensor fusion algorithms for inertial and relative spacecraft navigation
- Support the development and execution of component-level navigation test programs, including sensor characterization, sensor modeling, and integrated on-vehicle testing
- B.S. with at least 2+ years of relevant experience or M.S. or equivalent in computer science, aerospace engineering, or related technical field
- Experience with build systems, version control, and testing methodologies
- Proven experience in the synthesis of state estimation algorithms and Kalman filters for spacecraft navigation
- Strong software design and development skills with emphasis in C++ and Simulink/MATLAB. Including skills in debugging and performance optimization.
- Operational knowledge of inertial and relative navigation sensors
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Ph.D. or equivalent in computer science, aerospace engineering, or related technical field
- Experience in vision-based navigation, and familiarity with image processing, and feature detection techniques
- Experience in the development of navigation systems that include measurements from GPS and optical sensors
- Familiarity in orbital dynamics and space craft mechanics
- Proven knowledge in the development of planetary spacecraft navigation systems
- Demonstrated experience with hardware and software integration and testing, including experience with sensor device drivers and I/O
- Experience in verification and test of embedded software and systems
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.