Environmental Test Engineer
Mojave, California, United States
16 days ago
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a Sr-, Staff-, and Principal-level Engineer, to focus on vehicle environmental loads. In this position, you will coordinate between the environmental test team and the Talon-A hypersonic vehicle team. You will contribute to planning, tracking, and execution of environmental tests and vehicle instrumentation, as well as vehicle flight loads data review (vibration, shock, thermal, and EMI).
- Expert on Talon-A hypersonic vehicle environmental test load levels (vibration, shock, thermal, and EMI)
- Utilize thermal and dynamic models and/or coordinate with thermal and dynamic analysts to review analyses predictions
- Ensure that Talon-A vehicles are instrumented appropriately to capture data to validate and/or update the environmental test plan (ETP)
- Review flight data (temperature, shock, vibration) to ensure the ETP is consistent with flight data
- Track status of all Talon-A LRU acceptance and qualification tests and report status to chief engineer
- Ensure all Talon LRUs are acceptance tested and delivered to the manufacturing team on-time for integration
- Track components to be tested in-house and coordinate with environmental test team to update ETP and prioritize component testing as necessary
- Ensure all qualification units are on-hand and ready for delta qualification testing if necessary
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the Talon-A Chief Engineer
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- Travel, as needed, to support the department
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: aerospace, structural, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering, experimental aircraft, launch vehicle integration, and/or flight testing
- Knowledge and understanding of test and environmental standards such as DO-160, MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461, etc.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized
- Coordination experience with multiple teams
- Ability to update configuration control/tracking software
- Facilitation skills and ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to gain support or resolve concerns
- Ability to work on your own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Environmental testing experience
- Data acquisition and data processing experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Programming with Matlab, Python, or equivalent
- Familiarity with FEMAP & NASTRAN
- Familiarity with configuration management systems – Jira (preferred)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Level Sr: Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution with 5-10 years of experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Level Staff: Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution with 10-20 years of experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Level Principal: Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution with 20+ years of experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Position based in Mojave, CA
- Travel, as needed, to support the department. Travel estimated to be <5%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan, up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: