Counsel, Global Trade Compliance
Hawthorne, CA, United States
15 days ago
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
COUNSEL, GLOBAL TRADE COMPLIANCE
SpaceX’s rapid growth has created an opportunity to add a Global Trade Compliance Counsel to the Legal team. This person will be the primary responsible attorney for sanctions, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and due diligence compliance programs for SpaceX company-wide, certain export control compliance related to SpaceX’s launch and satellite business, and will also take a leading role in internal compliance reviews and investigations across the company.
- Provide expert advice, training and guidance concerning economic sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC); establish and oversee SpaceX’s restricted party screening and due diligence programs
- Provide expert advice, training and guidance concerning the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and similar foreign anti-corruption laws around the world, including the FCPA, the UK’s Bribery Act, and similar law; establish and oversee SpaceX’s anti-corruption compliance program
- Make jurisdiction and classification determinations in coordination with engineering teams
- Prepare and manage export and sanctions licenses and use of license exceptions and exemptions
- Coordinate interactions with relevant U.S. government agencies and officials on export and sanctions issues
- Investigate potential matters of non-compliance with U.S. export control, FCPA and sanctions laws, coordinate a report of finding with senior management and prepare voluntary disclosures, in coordination with outside advisors/counsel, and direct corrective actions
- Provide expert advice and guidance concerning the requirements and obligations for handling export-controlled commodities, material, software, technical data, and defense services under the International Traffic and Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administrations Regulations (EAR)
- Conduct and participate in internal compliance audits
- Conduct legal reviews of commercial contracts for procurement of goods and services
- Support continuous improvements of forms, policies, and processes to help streamline and simplify deals and product/service terms
- Work cross functionally with business teams across the company to analyze legal risks, devise creative solutions and develop strong, trusted advisor relationships
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school
- 3+ years of experience working with U.S. export control laws in a corporate law department or law firm
- Active bar membership in at least one U.S. state
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years experience working with U.S. economic sanctions, FCPA, and U.S. export control laws at a law firm
- Comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of U.S. export control laws and regulations
- Experience conducting internal compliance reviews and investigations
- Experience working in or with aerospace, satellite industry or internet service providers
- Excellent academic credentials, writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a fast-paced environment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Counsel, Global Trade Compliance: $190,000.00 - $230,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.