SLD Mass Properties Engineer, Cargo Delivery Element - Lunar Permanence (R38005)
Space Coast, FL, United States
3 months ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of the Lunar Permanence business unit, which develops Blue Origin’s multiple Blue Moon lander product lines. To further Blue Origin's mission of having millions of people living and working in space, we are building sustainable infrastructure for our transport of crew and cargo from Earth to the lunar surface.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers and designers, you will work as a Mass Properties Engineer supporting the Cargo Delivery Element (CDE), reporting directly to the CDE Senior Manager. You will be accountable for mass properties control, analysis, verification, data management, and documentation for the CDE spanning across all program phases of the Sustaining Lunar Development (SLD) program from conceptual design, through development, production, deployment, and post-flight. You will contribute to the definition of mass properties requirements and allocations and then implement phase-specific controls to ensure all technical performance metrics are met. Through deep understanding of designs and their maturity, you will assign mass growth allowances based on design/analysis maturity, mass optimization strategy, manufacturing methods, etc. This work will enable early trades and decision-making that prevent unacceptable mass properties exceedances. Those systems products that you will be responsible for developing will provide Lunar Permanence lander vehicles with Cargo Accommodations products to enable unprecedented crew and mass to surface capabilities.
As a Mass Properties Engineer, you will work with NASA and our National Team partners and Human-class Cargo providers as part of the Human Landing System (HLS) SLD program. You will play a key role in developing the Lunar Transportation system that will return humans to the Moon and extend human presence permanently beyond the bounds of Earth.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Relocation provided
- Travel expected up to 25% of the time
- Interviews will include a technical assessment
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- End-to-End ownership of the vehicle mass properties on a given in-space architecture.
- Allocate, estimate and manage mass properties requirements, margins and weight growth allowances throughout the entire product lifecycle.
- Verify that the hardware meets requirements and that the mass properties model is an accurate representation of the flight vehicle.
- Perform conceptual mass properties calculations from geometric approximations.
- Perform detailed mass properties calculations from 3D CAD models and released drawings.
- Generate vehicle/architecture distributed mass profiles (cg and moments of inertia) across all mission profiles.
- Verify component, subsystem and system mass properties data by interfacing with members of the design, integration, and test team.
- Plan, develop and execute weight and balance testing to measure center of gravity and moment of inertia.
- Support development of system requirements, flow down, and verification planning.
- Develop and maintain mass properties records throughout the product lifecycle, including their compliance against vehicle-level technical performance metrics.
- B.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, or related subject area.
- Successful candidates in this role typically have 2+ years of related experience.
- Ability to demonstrate technical knowledge in a wide range of aerospace subsystems including propulsion, structures, electronics, and ground support equipment.
- Experience managing mass properties per ANSI/AIAA S-120 (2015)
- Knowledge of systems engineering practices, fabrication and integration processes, and quality control.
- Extensive computer skills including MS Excel, MS Access, MATLAB, and CAD (Creo preferred).
- Proficiency in CAD programs (Creo Pro/E preferred)
- Ability to solve a variety of complex problems using analytical methods, simulation, and hands-on experimental testing.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience with mass properties/weight control processes, including identifying and resolving mass property threats and opportunities.
- Experience designing and developing aerospace hardware.
- Experience with requirements management (Jama preferred).
- Experience testing, measuring hardware to develop mass properties.
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays.
Discretionary bonus: Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Eligibility for benefits varies by role type, please check with your recruiter for a comprehensive list of the benefits available for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.