Program Development Engineer, US Government Space Programs
Hawthorne, CA, United States
3 months ago
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER, U.S. GOVERNMENT SPACE PROGRAMS
The government program development team is a very small team with a huge responsibility – developing new missions, partnerships, and business opportunities for SpaceX services and technologies with the U.S. Government that will lead to a base on the moon and a city on Mars. As a Program Development Engineer, you will report to the Senior Director of Program Development on new business pursuits across the NASA and National Security Space Launch mission portfolios. You will lead and support the overall civil space team with key insights and analysis of the civil and national security space domain. You will engage with government customers to shape new opportunities, gather customer needs, and build relationships. You will perform competitive technical and business analysis. You will lead and contribute to capture efforts for a wide range of missions and strategic business opportunities. We’re looking for a technically savvy, resourceful, quick learner who is driven to quickly gain the programmatic and business knowledge and skills needed to win new programs and missions. You will collaborate regularly with some of the smartest and most highly motivated space professionals in the world and leave an impact on both our industry and humanity.
- Conceptualize and coordinate the development of SpaceX solutions for new government business opportunities
- Track U.S. government space market/industry trends, budgets, policy developments, and competitive environment
- Work with engineering, business operations, and mission management teams to develop and gain buy-in for technical solutions, cost and schedule estimates, and pricing recommendations for new business opportunities
- Contribute to and communicate win themes and key strengths of SpaceX offerings; analyze any potential perceived risks and weaknesses and develop effective mitigations
- Build winning proposals with inputs and contributions from a small, cross-functional team
- Evaluate SpaceX technologies, services, capabilities, and goals for alignment with new space mission opportunities
- Grow a relationship network with government, university, and industry partners to inform new business pursuits, gain key customer insights, and build trust
- Contribute to and/or lead team process and operations improvement efforts
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- 2+ years of space systems engineering or Government space systems acquisition experience
- 2+ years of experience working with launch vehicles, spacecraft, or other aerospace systems
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, particularly written communication skills
- Business and project management skills to include cost estimating, requirements development and management, and scheduling
- Network of contacts in the government space government and aerospace industry
- Robust knowledge of National Security Space Launch and/or NASA program portfolio, priorities, culture, and organization
- Must be willing to travel (~30%)
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends, as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Programs Development Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Programs Development Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed based on merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.