Principal Communications Security Architect (R37923)
Seattle, WA, United States
3 months ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
The role is part of the In-Space Systems business unit, which is focused on development, manufacturing, and operation of satellite systems to address one of the most compelling challenges in spaceflight today: space mobility. As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers, you provide leadership across organizations, working end-to-end across payload, vehicle, and ground elements to define advanced secure communications solutions providing high availability, high throughput, and multi-tenant capabilities. The Principal Communications Security Architect is responsible for definition of communications security concepts, coordination of capability roadmaps with leadership and stakeholders, oversight and sponsorship of implementation, integration and test of critical systems, and ensuring delivered solutions align with internal and external security requirements.
We’re looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality; to join our team and positively impact the future of space. Passion for our mission and vision is required. Successful candidates will have a technical background, be detail driven, and have excellent problem-solving abilities. You should be passionate about delivering extensible, timely solutions while contributing to the development of high-performance teams through meticulous goal-setting, disciplined attention to performance metrics, and continuous process improvement. If you’re excited by providing near-term value, solving novel problems, learning about interesting topics, and completing challenging activities, please apply!
• Relocation provided
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with customers, collaborators, systems engineering, architecture, hardware, software, teams on ensuring multi-functional deliverables are identified and tracked
- Describe a vision for how architectural elements are developed, constructed, deployed, and maintained across Space and Ground elements.
- Drive engineering teams to successful project execution by offering solutions that are imaginative, thorough, predictable, and consistent with organizational objectives
- Establish goals and metrics to find opportunities to deliver customer solutions to cost, performance, and schedule requirements.
- Persist throughout the program lifecycle as systems are developed, championing the conceptual vision and adapting it to reality
- Mentor and train across the program to ensure security approach, philosophy and technology are understood and implemented as defined
- B.S. in Aerospace, Software, Electrical, Mechanical, Physics, Systems Engineering, or related technical subject area
- 15+ years of Technical Experience in Communications Security domain, including MLS/MILS Architecture, Trusted Routing Concepts, Encryption Technology (Commercial and Type-1), Key Management CONOPs, Threat Modeling
- Deep experience interacting with commercial and government partners, with a proven history of successfully shepherding new technical solutions through compliance processes
- Familiarity with NIST Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability (CIA Triad) standards to maintain Moderate to High information security
- Ability to develop processes within NIST-800-53, FIPS-140, FedRAMP and AES-256 encryption standards across Space and Ground elements.
- Familiarity with data framing & space-to-ground security data protocols (I.e. CCSDS) to support security data link layer and routing capabilities.
- Outstanding customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet ambitious timelines with optimal solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.