Spectrum Engineering Section Manager - Communications Architectures Department
El Segundo, CA - Chantilly, VA, United States
3 months ago
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
We are seeking a Section Manager who will lead the Spectrum Engineering and Policy Section of the Communication Architectures Department (CAD). CAD provides radio frequency (RF) spectrum engineering to future military, civil, and commercial systems. We also guide the development of spectrum regulations and policies to assure critical wireless systems have access to necessary spectrum resources. CAD also performs trade studies, analyses, and simulations to optimize the overall communications performance of terrestrial, satellite, launch vehicle, and ground-based systems.
When you join our team, you’ll also be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators in the Communication Technologies and Engineering Division (CTED). Join us and take your place in space. CTED’s domains include main-mission communication satellites, wideband links, command and telemetry, and terrestrial networks, along with their enabling technologies. The division comprises all aspects, from architecture to implementation; our engineers work directly with corporate customers to ensure robust and resilient communications.
Work Model: The majority will be required onsite with some telecommuting possible depending on the needs of our customers.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Provide technical leadership to solve challenging problems related to RF interference, spectrum sharing, and spectrum policy
- Build and manage technical teams to provide spectrum management support for customers such Space Systems Command, Intelligence Community, and other organizations
- Recruit, hire, mentor, and develop staff members in the Spectrum Engineering and Policy section including training, performance management, and coaching
- Assist the Department Director in project management, resource allocation, strategic planning, and new business development with a focus on spectrum management
- Interface with program offices to understand customers’ needs, define tasks and schedules
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in electrical engineering or another related discipline
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
- Strong background in communication systems, architectures, and networks
- Willingness to learn and engage on spectrum management topics, including technical and policy issues
- Project development experience and demonstrated ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and customer interface skills and a demonstrated ability to interact with customer and contractor personnel in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment
- This position requires an active Top Secret/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Ability to travel
How You Can Stand Out
- Master's Degree or PhD in electrical engineering, communication systems, or systems engineering from an accredited university
- Prior knowledge of International Telecommunications Union (ITU) or National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) or Federal Communications Commission (FCC) spectrum management processes
- Knowledge of various national security space programs as well as knowledge of commercial satellite systems
- Previous management experience
- Experience leading or managing remote teams
- Knowledge of programming languages (Python, Matlab, C++) and software development
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)$103,300 - $139,050 - $174,800Pay Basis: Annual
Our leadership philosophy is simple: every employee, regardless of level and role, can demonstrate leadership. At Aerospace, our commitment is our people. To cultivate our talent and ensure that we have a strong pipeline of future leaders, we want individuals who:
- Operate Strategically
- Lead Change
- Engage with Impact
- Foster Innovation
- Deliver Results
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
Flexible spending accounts
Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
Education assistance programs
An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.