Electro-Mechanical Actuator System (EMAS) Responsible Engineer (Flight Systems Electrical & Analysis) (Experienced or Lead)
USA - Huntsville, AL, United States
3 months ago
Company:The Boeing Company
Location:USA - Huntsville, AL
Job Description Qualifications:
Boeing Space, intelligence and Weapons Systems organization is seeking an Avionics and Software Flight Systems Electrical and Analysis Design Engineer (Mid-Level or Senior) to join the Avionics & Software (AV&SW) Flight Systems team in Huntsville, AL on the Space Launch System (SLS) program contracts.
At Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS), we're more than just a team - we're explorers and pioneers on a mission to redefine the horizons of space exploration. As a Senior Avionics and Software Flight Systems Electrical and Analysis Design Engineer in our Huntsville, AL location, you'll be instrumental in advancing the next generation of space launch vehicles for NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) - one of the world's most powerful rockets, designed for crewed and un-crewed deep space exploration.
Our Avionics & Software (AV&SW) Flight Systems team thrives on innovation and collaboration, developing cutting-edge designs for electro-mechanical and control systems, pushing the boundaries of technology and engineering. Our primary focus lies on the Electro-Mechanical Actuator System (EMAS), a pivotal part of the Space Launch System's Guidance, Navigation, and Control mechanisms. In this role, you'll not only create and oversee these designs, but you'll also manage their entire life cycle, from inception to production, testing, and implementation.
We offer an environment that values in-depth analyses and solutions to technical problems, and we frequently conduct formal trade studies and research to support our future product designs. As a key representative on significant technical matters, you'll be given a considerable latitude in determining the technical objectives of your assignments, offering a unique chance to shape the future of aerospace engineering.
Boeing's team culture is built around diversity, equity, and inclusion. We create a workspace that is not just welcoming, respectful, and equitable, but one that actively promotes personal and professional development. When you join our team, you are joining a community dedicated to shaping the future, solving complex problems, and making history in space exploration. This is a chance to leave your mark on the universe - are you ready to launch with us?
- Designs electronic hardware focused on space launch vehicle applications
- Develops avionics assembly designs primarily focused on electro-mechanical design, including actuators and control systems
- Oversees the development, production and testing of the Electro-Mechanical Actuator System (EMAS) supporting EUS Guidance, Navigation and Control.
- Develop the design, analysis and documentation for control electronics and related requirements for brushless DC motor.
- Develops, documents and maintains electronic and electrical system requirements according to customer desires and contract requirements
- Leads and coordinates work to analyze and translate requirements into system architecture, hardware and software designs and interface specifications.
- Develops of statements-of-work and technical performance specifications
- Develops of test plans/procedures and supports the execution test events
- Leads Root Cause/Corrective Action (RCCA) investigations and resolutions
- Executes various methods of testing and analysis to support design and production and to ensure system designs meet operational and functional requirements
- Works with suppliers to ensure timely delivery of products
- Leads formal trade studies and literature research to support future product designs
- Develops solutions to technical problems
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
- Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects.
- Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Completed work is reviewed for desired results from a relatively long-term perspective.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite in Huntsville, AL.
Travel may be required up to 10-20% of the time; Domestically depending on business needs.
Special Program Access:
This position requires ability to obtain program access, for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship only.
This position requires the ability to obtain access to a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) facility.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience)
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree in an Engineering Field of studies
- 5+ years of experience with Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience with electro-mechanical design to include actuators and controllers
- 3+ years of experience leading RCCA investigations and resolutions
- 3+ years of experience with electronics test methodology
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience)
- Proficient in Brushless DC motor and controller design
- Experience in one or more of these focused areas: analog/digital circuits, firmware/Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), RF theory, serial and parallel communication protocols, electromechanical actuators and controls.
- Experience with Creo Parametric/Windchill
- Experience of Printed Wiring Board (PWB) design processes
- Experience of a broad range of hardware types including RF assemblies, antennas, power supplies (alternating current/direct current (AC/DC)), FPGAs, digital signal processors, and embedded architectures
- Experience MIL-STD-1553, ethernet, RS-422 and other communication protocols
- Experience of test equipment including signal generators, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and oscilloscopes
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Note: Basic relocation will be offered for eligible internal candidates.
Drug Free Workplace
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This is a NASA safety-sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
This position is for 1st shift.
At Boeing, we strive to deliver a Total Rewards package that will attract, engage and retain the top talent. Elements of the Total Rewards package include competitive base pay and variable compensation opportunities.
The Boeing Company also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work.
The specific programs and options available to any given employee may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.
Please note that the salary information shown below is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
Summary pay range for Mid- Level: 96,050 – 129,950
Summary pay range for Senior Level: $119,850 – $162,150
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Relocation:Relocation is available for eligible candidates, if authorized
Export Control Requirement:U.S. Government Export Control Status: This position must meet export control compliance requirements. To meet export control compliance requirements, a “U.S. Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. §120.15 is required. “U.S. Person” includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Safety Sensitive:This is not a safety sensitive position
Contingent Upon Award ProgramThis position is not contingent upon program award
Experience Level:Individual Contributor - 3
Job Code:6B1BI3 (622)
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Stay safe from recruitment fraud! The only way to apply for a position at Boeing is via our Careers website.
Learn how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud - Recruitment Fraud Warning
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Request an Accommodation - Requesting Interview Accommodations
Applicant Privacy - Applicant Privacy
EEO is the law Poster - EEO is the law
Boeing Policy on EEO - Boeing EEO Policy
Affirmative Action and Harassment - Boeing Affirmative Action and Harassment
Boeing Participates in E – Verify
Right to Work Statement