IC 2024 Electromechanical Engineer
El Segundo, CA, United States
3 months ago
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
Internship conversion position for the ECD/VSD. This position will be located at El Segundo, CA.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Electromechanical Control Department (ECD) is a vital component of VSD, entrusted with the critical role of providing unparalleled technical support in the realm of control system hardware and algorithms for both spacecraft and launch vehicles. ECD subject matter experts specialize in pivotal components such as gyroscopes, star trackers, encoders, motors, accelerometers, reaction wheels, fast steering mirrors, servo mechanisms, GPS receivers, thrust vector control, and more. This dynamic department engages in extensive technical studies and experimental investigations to bolster customer programs. These activities encompass everything from control system analysis, simulation, and evaluation to real-world testing of control hardware and sensor systems. ECD's endeavors often necessitate seamless collaboration with government stakeholders, program managers, and contractors.
Work Model: Hybrid
This is a full-time position, nominally based in El Segundo, CA, offering a hybrid work model that combines regular onsite work and remote flexibility as the business needs allow.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Technical studies often involving evaluation, analysis, modeling or simulation of control systems and their components
- Experimental investigations in the Mechatronics Research Laboratory (managed by ECD) and/or other Aerospace labs may include controller design and implementation, data reduction and visualization, sensor and actuator performance evaluation, and electro-optical systems calibration and alignment
- Tasks typically involve interaction with government customers, program management, and contractors to support multiple programs. Clearly communicate the results of studies while working with both internal and external customers and stakeholders
What Corporate Skills You’ll Bring
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Possess organizational, time management and project management skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt to changing organizational need
- Interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college/university program in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Engineering or other applicable STEM discipline (pursuing or conferred within last 12 months)
- 0-1 year of industry work experience
- Prior Internship at The Aerospace Corporation
- Expertise in laboratory experimentation, test strategy development, experiment design, and integration and testing
- A strong working knowledge of electronics, mechanical design, control systems, inertial sensors, and actuators applicable to spacecraft and/or launch vehicles
- Experience performing technical support in complex environments (multi-program, multi-agency) involving customers, program offices, engineering support, and contractors
- Proficiency in tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, dSPACE, LabVIEW, SolidWorks, C/C++, Python
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills for interactions with management, program offices, customers, contractors, and colleagues
- Flexibility for up to 10% travel and availability during non-standard hours to meet customer demands
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government security clearance. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in a STEM field or equivalent years of professional relevant experience
- Expertise in areas such as: space vehicle control electronics and avionics systems, electronic circuit design and analysis, laser communications and optics, signal processing and filtering, real-time software development, GPS receiver testing and associated algorithms is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with launch vehicle and satellite payloads and control, their relationships to other subsystems, and to mission-level performance is desirable
- Ability to provide innovative solutions to challenging technical problems
- Experience in building and leading a product team
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of customer, corporate staff, and contractors
- Demonstrated ability to identify new business and bring in tasks and projects from internal and external sources
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)$71,000 - $83,000 - $95,000Pay Basis: Annual
Our leadership philosophy is simple: every employee, regardless of level and role, can demonstrate leadership. At Aerospace, our commitment is our people. To cultivate our talent and ensure that we have a strong pipeline of future leaders, we want individuals who:
- Operate Strategically
- Lead Change
- Engage with Impact
- Foster Innovation
- Deliver Results
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
Flexible spending accounts
Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
Education assistance programs
An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.