Software Engineer II – Back-End Tools Development
Broomfield, CO, United States
3 months ago
Come be a part of an amazing team designing and developing Software Tools for the Dream Chaser Spaceplane! In this role, you will be directly responsible for developing key flight software data and tools that will power missions to the International Space Station and beyond. The products you develop will not only go to space, but they will also help shape the future of Spaceflight. Come make history with us.
Sierra Space-based in Louisville, CO with operations in Madison, WI, Durham, NC, Huntsville, AL, Houston, TX, and Kennedy Space Center, FL—designs and manufactures the Dream Chaser spaceplane and other advanced spacecraft, commercial space destinations, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers, and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
This position supports Flight Software Tools development through the following:
- Design and create mission critical software tools
- Maintain and provide access to mission critical data through a variety of formats
- Implement best practices for developing maintainable production ready software products
- Mentor junior team members
- Develop unit and functional tests
- Create and maintain comprehensive software documentation including but not limited to: Software Requirements, Software User Guides, and Software Test Plans
- Coordinate and collaborate across multi-discipline/multi-organizational teams to understand key aspects of various subsystems, safety requirements and operational requirements
- Support the Flight Software Development Team, Hardware-Software Integration Team, and Flight Controllers through testing with NASA, Qualification of the Software, training of Flight Controllers and support during missions
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other related discipline and typically 2 or more years of relevant experience
- Experience with Computer Aided Engineering tools
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Familiarity working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Well versed in: Python, SQL,
- Experience with Linux
- Experience implementing or using CI/CD
- Agile development methods and scrum experience
- Experience creating comprehensive documentation to limit siloed knowledge
- Experience designing and developing maintainable production applications
- Ability to work independently on fast paced flight software tool development
- Knowledge of coding standards and best practices
- Excellent communications skills
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required. Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
At Sierra Space (Sierra Space) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. Sierra Space has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about Sierra Space
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Estimated Starting Salary Range:$91,154.71 - $136,732.06
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.