Long Beach, California, United States
3 months ago
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Legal team at Relativity Space is responsible for identifying and managing risks across the organization to ensure Relativity is adequately protected through its rapid growth. Our legal team manages intellectual property, contracts, and ensuring compliance, among other responsibilities. Unique to Relativity’s fast-paced startup environment, this team is given the opportunity to work across many teams to support Relativity's ambitious goal of building the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket.
Our legal team is small, nimble, and entrepreneurial. We help support and scale Relativity as we develop our Factory of the Future, partnering with units across the company. Our Counsel, Regulatory will help advise Relativity business units on regulatory regimes related to trade compliance, FAA licensing, cybersecurity, and government contracting. We will need a lawyer who is entrepreneurial, eager to develop new skills and tackle new projects, willing to present creative solutions to challenges, and capable of tackling tough issues, all while maintaining the highest levels of integrity. Your regulatory experience and technical judgment will help us to navigate myriad issues as we continue to scale. This role may be located in any one of Relativity’s offices, including Long Beach, CA, Washington, D.C., Cape Canaveral, FL, or Stennis, MS. Fully remote options are not available.
What you’ll do:
- Counsel and advise on local, state and federal regulatory agencies interacting with business units, including Federal Aviation Administration, NASA, and government customer agencies.
- Counsel and advise on export controls, obligations for handling export-controlled commodities, software, technical data, and defense services under the International Traffic and Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administrations Regulations (EAR)
- Make jurisdiction and classification determinations in coordination with engineering teams, and prepare and manage export licenses and use of license exceptions and exemptions.
- Support Relativity’s procurement and commercial contracts function as necessary through contract negotiation and review.
- Work with Relativity’s Trade Compliance function to maintain an effective export compliance program under the ITAR and the EAR, including drafting compliance policies and procedures as well as administering training
What you need to know:
- Law degree from an accredited law school and active license to practice law
- 3+ years’ experience as practicing attorney, either with a large law firm or in-house.
- Legal experience in export control matters
- Experience working with federal regulatory agencies, either in support of a government contractor or government lessee.
- Experience in government cybersecurity requirements and data privacy regulations
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and ability to learn all facets of Relativity’s business.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing, with engineers, attorneys, staff, and external contacts
- Ability to organize and prioritize a heavy workload in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements, while maintaining exceptional accuracy
- Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts
- Self-starter attitude, willingness to take the lead on complex issues and follow through to completion
- Ability to receive a federal security clearance at the highest level issued to Relativity Space
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience in government procurement processes and requirements
- Experience in a major law firm or in-house legal department in a field related to Relativity’s business
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace