Technical Program Director, Lunar Flight Operations (R37760)
Seattle, WA, United States
3 months ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is a part of Test & Flight Operations team, providing centralized support to Business Units with the focus on design, build and maintenance of the ground systems, test and launch facilities across multiple locations.
As part of a small, hardworking, and accomplished team of Mission Operations Systems and Flight Operations Engineers, you will collaborate closely with space vehicle and ground subsystem teams, leading and performing flight and operations development tasks throughout the full system lifecycle. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of the mission operations concept, mission analysis and planning, flight planning, ground data systems, and tools used to operate crew-rated lunar landers.
You will work directly with NASA and our National Team Partners as part of the Human Landing System (HLS) Sustaining Lunar Development (SLD) program. You will play a key role in developing the Lunar Transportation system that will return humans to the Moon and extend human presence permanently beyond the bounds of Earth. We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Coordinate a team of 8-20 personnel to develop processes and execute mission operations in the areas of operations product development, mission planning, flight dynamics and training
- Assist the Lunar Director of Mission Operations with the management of budget, schedule and personnel for the Lunar Mission Operations team
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, including engineers representing flight vehicle systems, ground software, flight control operators and customers
- Lead initiatives to improve Mission Operations Systems and Flight Operations engineering and other functional processes and tools
- Help establish standards for repeatable and cost-effective mission operations execution, working to continuously improve team performance and create a culture of operational excellence
- Provide real-time leadership to the execution of complex space missions, including test and demonstration flights of new technology
- Support the development of future lunar vehicles by helping define the Concept of Operations and ensuring design requirements provide operability to both flight and ground crews responsible for operation of the vehicle
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, physics or related technical field
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Space mission flight operations
- Mission analysis, flight planning and timeline development (tool and analysis)
- Ground-based Navigation (e.g. RF, Optical, etc.)
- Spacecraft telemetry, commanding and sequencing
- Operational fault management
- Experience in a complex system lifecycle – requirement definition, design solution definition, implementation, integration, verification, validation, qualification, commissioning and/or operations
- Strong understanding of the principles and methods of engineering complex systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced, dynamic work environment
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.