Software Engineer – Flight Simulation
Webster, Texas, United States
3 months ago
Axiom Space is building for beyond, guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. The leading provider of human spaceflight services and developer of human-rated space infrastructure, Axiom Space operates end-to-end missions to the International Space Station today while developing its successor, Axiom Station – a permanent commercial destination in low-Earth orbit that will sustain human growth off the planet and bring untold benefits back home.
Axiom Space fosters a diverse environment inclusive of all perspectives. We are the pioneers of commercial space, leading the transformation of low-Earth orbit into a global space marketplace. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Software Engineer – Flight Simulation who is fueled by problem-solving, continuously curious, and driven to understand our world, science/technology, and life itself, for the benefit of all on Earth and beyond.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop simulation software for spacecraft analysis, testing, and training.
· Understand the entire simulation and lead development on simulation tools and framework.
· Collaborate with control system designers to facilitate integration of flight software.
· Support full stack development of the simulation as an application, and work with external teams and stakeholders to deliver products using the Agile method.
· Maintain disciplined software test, configuration control, documentation, and management processes.
· Work with the System Engineering, System Test, and System Verification & Validation disciplines to design and execute Qualification and Acceptance Test cases for the flight hardware and flight software integrated with the flight simulation.
· Prepare technical documentation and presentations for peers, management, and external customers and partners.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in engineering or technical equivalent.
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience in simulation development for complex systems, or closely related activities.
· Experience with data synchronization in a simulation environment with multiple external data sources.
· Experience with Linux infrastructure and relevant scripting languages.
· Experience with source control management and pipelines in common repositories.
· Experience with C/C++ and Python.
· Experience with NASA-developed TRICK simulation environment and GUNNS nodal network solver are a plus.
· Experience with virtual integration and testing of embedded software is a plus.
· Experience with ethernet socket protocols, ZeroMQ/FastDDS middleware, and common embedded communication protocols like UART, SPI, I2C, USB, RS-232/422/485 are a plus.
· Experience in space systems test & verification engineering, including an understanding of space vehicle design, space system architecture development, ground systems support, payloads, and space missions and operations are a plus.
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
· Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
· Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
· Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
· Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
· Equipment and Machines
· Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
· Software development in a Linux environment
· C/C++, Python, and Linux script development
· Software source control and pipelines
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Results-oriented personality with a creative approach to problem-solving
· Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.