Rocket Engine System Performance and Trades Analyst (R37777)
Seattle, WA, United States
3 months ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention toward safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of analysts, you will help design and develop rocket engines and propulsion systems that meet launch vehicle requirements for various spaceflight systems. You will build and run steady state and transient analytic models of engines and other test articles to predict how they operate. You will use these models to develop engine requirements, build test sequences, and help with vehicle trajectory design. You will correlate system models to test data and provide the engine test team with test sequences and other guidance about safe engine operation. You will work with vehicle simulations to ensure engine modeling is accurate for flight mission simulations.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- 4+ years of engineering experience
- Understanding of rocket engines, gas turbine engines, internal combustion engines, etc.
- Strong understanding and ability to apply engineering fundamentals including thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and power systems
- Proficient in programming and knowledge of at least one programming/scripting language (Python/MATLAB/etc)
- Familiarity with data analysis
- Curiosity to understand engines at a component and system level
- Desire to work in a coordinated, fast-paced, and dynamic environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in teams
- Ability to be self-directed and balance several tasks at one time
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- M.S. degree or higher
- Experience in system modeling
- Experience in cryogenic propellants
- Experience with rocket engine development
- Knowledge of ROCKETS, NPSS, GFSSP, or an equivalent system modeling software package
- Knowledge of Matlab, Python and Fortran
- Experience with system or performance analysis across the lifecycle of a product or different products
- Experience with engine qualification and verification
- Understanding of numerical solvers and methods
- Working knowledge of a variety of propellants
- Knowledge of engine components such as pumps, turbines, injectors, combustors, and valves
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.