Modeling & Simulation Engineer - Communications
Webster, Texas, United States
3 months ago
Axiom Space is building for beyond, guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. The leading provider of human spaceflight services and developer of human-rated space infrastructure, Axiom Space operates end-to-end missions to the International Space Station today while developing its successor, Axiom Station – a permanent commercial destination in low-Earth orbit that will sustain human growth off the planet and bring untold benefits back home.
Axiom Space fosters a diverse environment inclusive of all perspectives. We are the pioneers of commercial space, leading the transformation of low-Earth orbit into a global space marketplace. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Modeling & Simulation Engineer - Communications who is fueled by problem-solving, continuously curious, and driven to understand our world, science/technology, and life itself, for the benefit of all on Earth and beyond.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop and implement simulation models for Axiom spacecraft with a focus on communications hardware and links.
· Implement model control logic by collaborating with avionics hardware and flight software developers.
· Discover and resolve design interface and integration issues wherever they exist.
· Tune simulation models with high-fidelity analysis results or test data provided by hardware owners.
· Create unit and integration tests to assess simulation model accuracy and performance.
· Work with simulation users to create and execute tests for coupled flight software and simulation testing.
· Analyze simulation results, create associated documentation, and present summaries to stakeholders.
· The focus of this role is not software engineering. The Modeling and Simulation Engineer must be able to understand spacecraft hardware and control systems, including reading electrical diagrams and using electrical analysis tools, to resolve design interface & integration issues and to create accurate computer models.
· Maintain disciplined software test, configuration control, documentation, and management processes.
· Prepare technical documentation and presentations for peers, management, and external customers and partners.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in engineering or technical equivalent.
· 7 years of relevant work experience.
· Experience developing models of hardware, software, and/or control systems for analysis or testing. Modeling of spacecraft communications systems is a plus.
· Experience in software debugging, performance optimization, and unit testing.
· Experience with reading electrical diagrams and using electrical design and analysis tools, for example, SolidWorks-Electrical, Altium, PSIM, TINA, LTSpice, and MatLab.
· Experience developing software in C++, Python, and shell scripts.
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
· Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
· Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
· Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
· Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
· Equipment and Machines
· Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
· Model development for analysis or testing. (Modeling of spacecraft communication systems is a plus.)
· C++, Python, shell script development, debugging, performance optimization, unit testing
· Reading electrical diagrams
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Results-oriented personality with a creative approach to problem-solving
· Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.