IC 2024 Electromechanical Control Engineer
El Segundo, CA, United States
3 months ago
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Electromechanical Control Department (ECD) performs both technical studies and characterization tests of control system hardware, in which you will support customer programs. ECD specializes in hardware used for spacecraft and launch vehicles including GPS Receivers, IMUs, Electric Motors, Gyroscopes, Accelerometers, Gimbals, Steering Mirrors, Star Trackers, Encoders & Resolvers, Capacitive & Inductive Sensors, and Reaction Wheels. This is a full-time position based in El Segundo, CA.
This position will be a hybrid work model and offer partially remote with some onsite work required in El Segundo, California
What You’ll Be Doing
- As a Member of the Technical Staff in ECD, you will participate in the testing, modeling, simulation, and analysis of electromechanical control systems and components in support of various satellite or launch vehicle programs.
- Apply engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to a variety of problems.
- Verify contractor designs, approaches, and overall system performance. Tasks may include attending and participating in technical interchange meetings, requirements reviews, design reviews, readiness reviews, pedigree reviews, and acceptance reviews.
- Develop, operate, and maintain laboratory resources in the Mechatronics Research Laboratory (managed by ECD) and/or other Aerospace labs.
- Perform technical studies and experimental investigations both independently and as part of a structured team.
- Document the design, execution, and results of technical studies and experimental investigations using a combination of written reports, oral presentations, and collaborative tools.
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or equivalent (pursuing or conferred in the last 12 months).
- 0-1 years of industry experience
- Prior internship at The Aerospace Corporation
- A balanced combination of analytical and experimental skills
- A working knowledge of electronics, mechanical design, control systems, inertial sensors, and actuators applicable to spacecraft and/or launch vehicles
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency with some of the following tools: MATLAB/Simulink, dSPACE, LabVIEW, SolidWorks, C/C++, Python
- Willingness to occasionally travel and to work off-business hours to support customer needs, approximately 10% (as required)
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to provide innovative solutions to challenging technical problems.
- Expertise in one or more space system components, electronic circuit design and analysis, space system software development, rapid control prototyping, small satellite development, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS, UAV, drones), optics, robotics, or system engineering (requirement definition, design and implementation, qualification, and flight)
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with product teams and external customers.
- Active Secret clearance with the ability to obtain a TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)$71,000 - $83,100 - $95,200Pay Basis: Annual
Our leadership philosophy is simple: every employee, regardless of level and role, can demonstrate leadership. At Aerospace, our commitment is our people. To cultivate our talent and ensure that we have a strong pipeline of future leaders, we want individuals who:
- Operate Strategically
- Lead Change
- Engage with Impact
- Foster Innovation
- Deliver Results
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
Flexible spending accounts
Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
Education assistance programs
An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.