Backend Developer – Flight Simulation
Webster, Texas, United States
3 months ago
Axiom Space is building for beyond, guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. The leading provider of human spaceflight services and developer of human-rated space infrastructure, Axiom Space operates end-to-end missions to the International Space Station today while developing its successor, Axiom Station – a permanent commercial destination in low-Earth orbit that will sustain human growth off the planet and bring untold benefits back home.
Axiom Space fosters a diverse environment inclusive of all perspectives. We are the pioneers of commercial space, leading the transformation of low-Earth orbit into a global space marketplace. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Backend Developer who is fueled by problem-solving, continuously curious, and driven to understand our world, science/technology, and life itself, for the benefit of all on Earth and beyond.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the simulation/software infrastructure and environment.
- Manage server resources and streamline application deployment pipelines.
- Collaborate with external stakeholders on network architecture and release processes.
- Support full stack development of the simulation as an application, and work with external teams and stakeholders to deliver products through the Agile method.
- Build data messaging tools to integrate external software and hardware-in-the-loop.
- Maintain disciplined software test, configuration control, documentation, and management processes.
- Prepare technical documentation and presentations for peers, management, and external customers and partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in engineering or technical equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in backend development or closely related activities.
- Experience with Linux infrastructure and relevant scripting languages.
- Experience with server management and application deployment.
- Experience with SQL database solutions and associated tooling.
- Experience with source control management and pipelines in common repositories.
- Experience with TCP/IP socket protocols, ZeroMQ/FastDDS middleware, and common communication interfaces like UART, SPI, I2C, USB, RS-232/422/485, and Ethernet.
- Experience with C/C++ and Python.
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Linux development, including scripting, server management, application deployment, device management, and on-premises server work.
- Environment and virtualization tooling, such as Docker, QEMU, vSphere, KVM, and Cloud.
- Networking and data management, including TCP/UDP, SQL/PostgreSQL/Liquibase, ZeroMQ/FastDDS, shared memory, and communication interfaces like serial/ethernet.
- Source control management and pipelines, including source repositories such as BitBucket and GitLab and Continuous Integration Continuous Test (CI/CT) tools such as Jenkins
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Results-oriented personality with a creative approach to problem-solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.