Embedded Software Engineer
Redondo Beach, California, United States
8 days ago
As an Embedded Software Engineer your core responsibility will be to write code that runs on custom avionics hardware for executing flight and ground test functions. You will work with avionics hardware engineers, GNC engineers, propulsion engineers, and others to develop performant and maintainable solutions. You will have the opportunity to contribute to many aspects of spacecraft development, including architecting new systems, doing quick prototypes, doing rigorous flight projects, and controlling flight hardware during ground tests.
- Implement and improve low-level processor functions such as controls of peripherals, and setup of communication interfaces
- Implement and improve functions such as closed loop control of physical processes, and detection/response algorithms for failures such as broken sensors or radiation upsets
- Provide technical input on new system developments from an embedded software perspective
- Write scrappy code to support development testing of avionics, fluids, and propulsion devices
- Write rigorous, reviewed, and tested code to support manufacturing and flight
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related degrees
- 3+ years' writing C/C++ code for an embedded system or vehicle of some kind (robot, car, drone, spacecraft, etc)
- Experience using spectrum-analyzers, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, hardware debuggers, and source-level debuggers to troubleshoot problems at all layers of the stack
- Knowledge of and experience with communication protocols including I2C, CAN, SPI, and UART
- Good fundamentals in signal processing, classical control theory, and excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience working collaboratively across teams in a mixed software/hardware environment
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working with Software Defined Radios (SDR)
- Experience with digital filter design such as FIR, IIR, and adaptive filters
- Experience developing RF signal modulation and demodulation algorithms such as QPSK, BPSK, and GFSK
- Familiarity with RF concepts such as SNR, OIP3, IIP3, Phase Noise, Nyquist, etc
- Experience with using RF Test equipment for RF validation and debugging
- Strong understanding of embedded software principles and ability to contribute to design reviews
Compensation bands are determined by role, level, location, and alignment with market data. Individual level and base pay is determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on job-related skills, education, experience, technical capabilities and internal equity.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Impulse Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Impulse Space is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.