Propulsion Design Engineer
Irvine, California, United States
8 days ago
Seeking pragmatic engineers with strong fundamentals, concrete experiences in component and systems design, and a reputation for tackling challenging problems.
As a Propulsion Design Engineer, you will join a tight-knit team in the design, development, build, test, and analysis of a high-performance electric propulsion system. You will be involved in the design of all sub-subsystems, including critical thruster components, the propellant management system, structural components, ground support equipment, etc. Your experience, creativity, and ambition will directly impact the architecture of the vehicle's propulsion system and unlock new achievable mission concepts with innovative designs.
Generous equity compensation.
- Own the mechanical design of various propulsion system subassemblies, ground support equipment, and other innovative components for the development and testing of a high-performance EP system.
- Build tools and conduct analysis for the propulsion subsystem. This includes mechanical analysis of structural assemblies, optimization of component design for performance and cost, propellant management, plume analyses, thruster alignments, and on-orbit performance assessment, etc.
- Develop and execute component and system-level test plans.
- Bring hardware from concept to prototype, and from prototype to development and production for flight hardware.
- Perform analysis on data from testing hardware. Iterate the results from data into improved designs, as well as make critical go/no-go calls on hardware performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics or related discipline
- 4 or more years of relevant experience; a Master's degree may be considered in lieu of 2 years of experience
- Demonstrable ability to personally design, build, and test hardware from a blank canvas, including troubleshooting and iterating designs based on downstream feedback
- Demonstrable proficiency in the principles of mechanical design, materials, thermodynamics, and fluids.
- Experience with 3D modeling and creation of manufacturing drawings
- Demonstrated ability to act with good engineering judgment and execute high quality work in a technical environment on tight timelines
- Demonstratable knowledge of spacecraft propulsion systems and/or vacuum hardware requirements
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable proficiency in GD&T
- Analytical/scientific programming experience (Python, MATLAB, C/C++)
- Professional experience using Siemens NX (Unigraphics), ANSYS or COMSOL
- Demonstrated experience with propulsion systems design, analysis, test, and/or manufacturing
- Demonstrated experience with best practices for design, qualification and production
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate a team of peers to achieve program goals
- Experience with manufacturing techniques, processes, and equipment such as machining, additive manufacturing, welding, forming, tube bending, structural assembly, etc.
- Familiar with relevant government and industry standards, such as AIAA-S-080, AIAA-S-081B, SMC-S-025
- Self-motivated to solve complex problems