Chief Engineer - Space Systems Development (R37759)
Seattle, WA, United States
20 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of Enterprise Program Management (EPM), where we provide technical standards, tools, processes, training, and subject matter expertise for product engineering and manufacturing. EPM allows all Blue Origin business units to benefit from commonly used capabilities, hardware, and software and assists business units in identifying, selecting, and training engineers from both inside and outside the organization.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety and innovation. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth!
You will provide independent oversight across Blue Origin’s Space Systems Development (SSD) programs to ensure overall technical compliance across the development and operational lifecycle. The position is within the Engineering and Program Management organization reporting to the Lead Chief Engineer for Space & Lunar Systems. The selected candidate requires strong engineering and collaboration skills to implement the optimal solutions that support the imposed requirements and architecture. In a fast-paced exciting environment, you will contribute to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical judgement and competence, and a passion for the highest technical standards partnering with the business unit and engineering leadership to achieve program goals.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- As the Chief Engineer, you will be responsible for managing the technical integrity and technical baseline of the programs you support.
- Act as the independent technical authority for development programs within our Space Systems Development (SSD) Business Unit, providing Chief Engineer assessments of requirements, design, risks, and schedule with the Program Managers and product owners.
- Identify gaps between requirements, design, manufacturing, operations and facility solutions with project teams on practical solutions across the life-cycle.
- Assess and disposition aggregate technical risks across programs and technology development projects.
- Assess and approve technical completion and compliance at major program and element technical reviews.
- You will provide engineering leadership and mentoring to coordinate design, analysis, and systems engineering processes throughout development, verification, delivery and operation.
- Provide independent review of corrective actions for major failures at the program/product level and work with functional managers in addressing systemic issues.
- Facilitate technical trades and advise teams on solutions for flight and ground architectures.
- Collaborate with program and company leadership to define and assess technology road-map alignment product needs and industry developments.
- Collaborate with other members to assess and implement engineering process health and compliance with standards for product / program. Represent the Company and project with key customers and partners.
- Coordinate with other Chief Engineers to guide activities internally and across multi-element teams to tackle complex problems.
- B.S. in an engineering-related field.
- A minimum of 20+ proven years of design, development or analysis experience.
- Proven experience as a Chief Engineer in aerospace development programs and human space flight systems.
- Experience in full life-cycle development of spacecraft and / or satellite flight systems, including launch and mission operations support.
- Experience with human space flight systems, Projects or Programs is required.
- Experience designing, deploying and supporting multiple complete flight systems or systems of similar complexity.
- Highly organized teammate with excellent technical written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record to operate with cohesive and effective teams and drive rapid decision making within those teams.
- Experience with development in mission and safety-critical environments.
- Leadership experience in an aerospace development environment, especially with space systems and/or lunar technologies.
- Ability to travel and/or temporary duty in support of growing tempos of production and operations.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to our inclusive culture.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.