Sr. GNC Engineer
Irvine, California, United States
7 days ago
Turion Space is seeking a talented and experienced Senior Satellite Guidance, Navigation, and Controls (GNC) Engineer to join our team in Irvine, CA. As a Sr. GNC Engineer, you will play a key leadership role in the design, development, and implementation of guidance, navigation, and control systems for our small satellite missions. You will work closely with the mission design and flight software team to create the mission profiles and algorithms. You will have the opportunity to lead projects, mentor junior engineers, and contribute to the overall technical strategy of our satellite programs.
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of advanced GNC algorithms and control systems for small satellite missions.
- Conduct mission analysis, trajectory optimization, and orbit determination to ensure mission objectives are met.
- Oversee the integration of guidance and navigation sensors, including star trackers, sun sensors, and GPS receivers, into the satellite platform.
- Collaborate closely with interdisciplinary teams to ensure seamless integration of GNC systems with other subsystems.
- Analyze and optimize system performance, including stability, robustness, and response time, while providing expert guidance to the team.
- Conduct simulations and testing to validate and verify GNC algorithms and control systems.
- Drive the continuous improvement of GNC processes, methodologies, and best practices, and share knowledge with the engineering team.
- Stay updated with the latest advancements and research in GNC engineering for small satellite systems and provide thought leadership to the team.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior engineers, fostering their growth and development in GNC engineering.
- Contribute to strategic planning and decision-making regarding technical direction and future advancements in GNC for satellite missions.
- Advanced degree (MS or Ph.D.) and 3+ years of experience, BS + 5 years experience, in an engineering discipline with a focus on control systems, orbital mechanics, or similar field
- Extensive experience and expertise in guidance, navigation, and control principles and their application to satellite systems.
- Proven track record in developing and implementing advanced GNC algorithms and control systems for space missions.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as C++ or Python for algorithm development and simulation at an advanced level.
- Deep knowledge of orbital mechanics, trajectory optimization, and mission analysis, with the ability to guide and mentor others in these areas.
- Strong familiarity with sensors used in satellite guidance and navigation, such as star trackers, sun sensors, and GPS, at a senior level.
- Demonstrated experience with modeling and simulation tools for GNC analysis and validation at an advanced level.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a track record of solving complex challenges in GNC engineering.
- Exceptional communication and teamwork abilities, with the capability to effectively lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Proactive, self-motivated, and adaptable, with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Previous experience in a senior-level or leadership role in GNC engineering is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to personally design, build, and test software from ground zero.
- Be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Software testing and verification experience (unit testing and performance verification)
- Experience designing and/or prototyping space systems software
- Hardware-in-the-loop and Software-in-the-loop testing experience
- Experience with Rendezvous and Proximity Operations and Docking (RPOD)
- Experience with low thrust trajectories and spacecraft with ΔV propulsion systems
- Experience implementing optimization algorithms
- Mission operations experience