Senior Manager - Construction (R37763)
West Texas, TX, United States
20 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention toward safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will push the boundaries of what’s possible in construction project management, as a visionary and hands-on leader, supporting Blue Origin’s Launch Site One. You will contribute substantively to the team’s impact on all aspects of building our infrastructure and world-class facilities.
In support of Blue Origin’s business units, the Sr. Manager, Construction Execution responsibilities include:
- Leading and developing a team to perform the list of responsibilities below. Sometimes, the manager will need to take an active role to mitigate any shortfalls.
- Initiating, planning, completing, monitoring, and closing construction projects throughout their lifecycles, to include:
- Developing project plans, budgets, and schedules
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Eliciting and detailing stakeholder requirements
- Identifying project dependencies, risks, and schedule impacts
- Reporting project progress (status, risks, opportunities, roadblocks, and KPIs)
- Generating requests for proposals (RFPs) and statements of work (SOWs)
- Preparing, reviewing, and understanding project contract vehicles (AIA)
- Lead contract negotiations
- Monitoring contractor progress during critical phases of a project
- Reviewing and approving invoices and payment applications
- Evaluating and processing change requests and change orders
- Assisting in the resolution of payment or performance disputes
- Creating, reviewing, and improving business processes
- Establish a right-sized GC base to keep pace with implementing the Project Pipeline
- Utilize a project tracker and provide weekly status reports to Leadership and collaborators
- Update CAPEX forecasts for projects being executed
- Gain approval to execute projects through CAPEX approval processes
- Ensure projects meet deadlines and budget thresholds
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management, or experience related to managing projects within Blue Origin
- 8+ years of work experience
- Experience leading multifunctional teams (especially in hybrid matrix environments)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Project, Visio)
- Ability to walk around construction sites, climb multiple flights of stairs, work in adverse weather conditions, and stand for prolonged periods
- Experience writing for – and presenting to – executive audiences
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Strong leadership aptitude especially around the Earns Trust leadership principle
- Professional Engineer licensure in Texas (or ability to attain Texas licensure via reciprocity)
- Registered Architect licensure in Texas (or ability to attain Texas licensure via reciprocity)
- Demonstrable achievements in any of:
- Facility planning
- Facility/plant management
- Facility engineering
- Proficiency with AutoCAD or Revit
- Demonstrable experience in any of:
- Delivering results in the face of significant challenges or setbacks
- Taking calculated risks with a bias for action
- Analyzing reversible and irreversible decisions
- Working at all levels of the project and organization, from hands-on to strategic
- Dealing with the challenges of project execution in extremely remote regions
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.