IC 2024 Embedded Control Systems Engineer
El Segundo, CA, United States
14 days ago
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
Internship conversion position for the Embedded Control Systems Department. This position will be located at in El Segundo, CA.
The Embedded Control Systems Department performs independent verification and validation of flight software embedded within avionics systems aboard launch vehicles, spacecraft, and other vehicle systems. Our multidisciplinary staff provides technical oversight throughout the flight software development process, from requirements definition to day-of-launch and on-orbit operations. We develop high-fidelity closed-loop hardware and software testbeds to test the software to assess its readiness for flight. In addition, we develop and test real-time embedded software for CubeSats, drones and other emerging technologies. ECSD is seeking a Software Engineer with a passion for space and software development to be part of our team.
This position will be a hybrid work model and offer partially remote with some onsite work required in El Segundo, CA.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Develop models of space system components such as sensors, actuators, and vehicle dynamics for use in software-in-the-loop, hardware-in-the-loop, and emulator-based simulators
- Conduct tests and perform analyses of software systems embedded within launch vehicles, spacecraft, CubeSats, and other mission-critical components of space systems
- Participate in the development and maintenance of these simulations to support software validation, on-orbit anomaly resolution, and day-of-launch mission assurance activities
- Develop tools and techniques for enhancing analysis and simulation capabilities
- Develop software for real-time embedded systems
What Corporate Skills You’ll Bring
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Possess organizational, time management and project management skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt to changing organizational need
- Interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
What You Need to be Successful[5-8 bullets recommended]
- Pursuing a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical/Computer Engineering or related discipline from an accredited college/university program and to be conferred within 12 months
- Prior internship at The Aerospace Corporation
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Some background and/or experience programming in one or more of the following languages: Java, C, C++, or Python
- Relevant course work or project experience in dynamics, control systems, software development, software testing, or modeling/simulation
- Experience with software development processes and tools including compilers, IDEs, software engineering and coding standards.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government security clearance. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Transcripts required
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Active security clearance
- Coursework or experience relevant to launch vehicles and/or spacecraft (spacecraft design, rocket design, rocket club, etc.)
- Familiarity with typical hardware interfaces: UART, I2C, SPI, GPIO, etc.
- Familiarity with containerization platforms such as Docker
- Experience with embedded microcontrollers or microprocessors
- Basic understanding in developing and/or testing real-time embedded software.
- Experience with the Atlassian tool suite, including JIRA, Bitbucket, and Confluence
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating systems, real-time operating systems, VHDL/FPGA programming, electronics, and LabVIEW
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)$71,000 - $88,450 - $105,900Pay Basis: Annual
Our leadership philosophy is simple: every employee, regardless of level and role, can demonstrate leadership. At Aerospace, our commitment is our people. To cultivate our talent and ensure that we have a strong pipeline of future leaders, we want individuals who:
- Operate Strategically
- Lead Change
- Engage with Impact
- Foster Innovation
- Deliver Results
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
Flexible spending accounts
Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
Education assistance programs
An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.