Mechanical/Aerospace Engineer III - Launch Pad Operations
Space Coast, FL, United States
14 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is a part of Test & Flight Operations team, providing centralized support to Business Units with the focus on design, build and maintenance of the ground systems, test and launch facilities across multiple locations.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will perform the commissioning, operations and maintenance of systems associated with space vehicle launch facilities. Typical equipment includes high pressure hydraulic and electro-mechanical systems. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Collaborate on system safety and process hazards analysis
- Coordinate with suppliers on cost, schedule, and technical design requirements
- Oversee installation and commissioning of new or modified mechanical systems
- Author and run commissioning, maintenance, troubleshooting and operational procedures
- Collaborate with teams of diverse skill sets to operate and maintain a world class launch site.
- Provide input on cost, schedule and technical requirements to internal customers
- Occasional travel may be necessary
- BS degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering (or similar discipline)
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role
- Experience with Solid modelling or plant modelling, piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), and configuration control of engineering and documentation.
- Experience understanding fabrication and installation drawings
- Knowledge of standard components, installation and fabrication methods of piping systems (pipe stock, fittings, connections, valves, fasteners, structural members, fitting, welding, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with teams composed of multiple roles and disciplines to achieve a common goal.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Hands-on experience operating and troubleshooting mechanical and/or piping systems
- Experience with creating process hazards analysis, job hazards analysis and formal risk evaluation.
- Experience writing and executing test plans and procedures for qualification, acceptance, and operations of hazardous and/or safety critical components and systems.
- Knowledge of ASME B31.3 and in-field oversight of construction, testing and/or operations of piping systems.
- Experience with design and operation of typical aerospace fuel, oxidizer and high pressure pneumatic systems.
- Knowledge of precision cleaning processes / levels and passivation of stainless steel
- Knowledge of marine environment corrosion mitigation (material and coatings selection)
- Familiarity with test equipment, such as multimeters, dew point meters, vacuum equipment, regulator panels.
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.