Director of Engineering
Austin, Texas, United States
14 days ago
Please Note: To conform with the United States Government Space Technology Export Regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., conditional resident, asylee or refugee (protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
At CesiumAstro, we are developers and pioneers of out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. We take pride in our dynamic and cross-functional work environment, which allows us to learn, develop, and engage across our organization. If you are looking for hands-on, interactive, and autonomous work, CesiumAstro is the place for you.
We are looking to add a Director of Engineering to our team. If you enjoy working in a startup environment and are passionate about developing leading-edge phased array communication systems for satellites, spacecraft, and aerospace, we would like to hear from you.
You will provide technical leadership and managerial mentoring while also directing aspects of our engineering policies, processes, and objectives. This role will also play a key role in the overall organizational health of the engineering organization and support our recruitment and talent development.
The Director of Engineering will lead and be responsible for delivering the technical, cost, and schedule performance for Cesium Astro’s space applications. Solutions include single-board computers, software-defined radios, phased array antennas, and more sophisticated communication solutions. The successful candidate will also present engineering design review materials to our customers and executive team, as well as participate in proposal-writing efforts. As such, excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing an engineering organization that develops innovative products with very high quality, attracting and retaining talent, and successful staff development (mentoring, coaching, and training).
- Manage and guide a team of engineering managers and staff.
- Set clear goals and objectives for the organization that will allow them to meet broader company objectives.
- Foster an environment within the engineering organization that allows for rapid and agile prototype development.
- Guide and mentor development teams in the detailed design of subassemblies, critical parts, and software.
- Ensure methodical validation testing is conducted.
- Represent and advocate for the engineering team’s success while balancing the challenges of business and production constraints.
- Motivate team members (engagement) and facilitate regular meetings with them and their direct reports.
- Provide mentoring and career development.
- Provide appropriate tools and resources for your engineering organization.
- Provide technical design knowledge and experience to best lead the engineering teams through difficult and challenging situations.
- Ensure technical design packages are complete and ready to transition to production.
- Drive accountability ensuring that milestones are met and that we meet customer expectations for quality and delivery.
- Set clear performance objectives, provide regular feedback, and conduct performance evaluations to support professional growth within the team.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Engineering from an accredited university or institution. Master of Science (MS) degree preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of applicable experience in the design and analysis of RF electronics and systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a Senior Manager or Director level position with a demonstrated track record of success.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate teams in a leadership role.
- Ability to convey a sense of urgency and motivate a team.
- Ability to direct/work with/motivate a highly technical staff, achieving outstanding performance.
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) technical concepts, status, and capabilities crisply and quickly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- RF Communications experience.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is a must.
- Must be able to self-organize workload and manage all deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to obtain / retain an active DoD Secret Security Clearance.
Preferred experience includes:
- Experience working in the aerospace or defense industry is a plus.
- Background in development for government/defense programs.
CesiumAstro considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills. Full-time employment offers include company stock options and a generous benefits package featuring health, dental, vision, HSA, FSA, life and retirement plans.
CesiumAstro, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.