GNC Engineer II (R37511)
Seattle, WA, United States
15 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is a part of New Shepard, a reusable suborbital rocket system designed to take astronauts and research payloads past the Kármán line – the internationally recognized boundary of space. Through operational reusability, New Shepard supports our mission of lowering the cost of access to space!
As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers, you will craft, analyze, and verify guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) software for spaceflight systems. In this role, you will build on our existing human-rated GN&C software to improve reliability, enable capabilities, and reduce operating cost. You will have the opportunity to work hands-on testing and characterizing navigation sensors and hardware, including IMUs, GNSS receivers, and LIDAR sensors. You will also perform system analyses, including Monte Carlo simulations, to satisfy specifications and requirements and to drive system-level architectural decisions. You will ensure the safety and reliability of the system by authoring and performing Verification and Validation (V&V) tasks to ensure the software meets requirements and specifications. Our team is responsible for the full life-cycle of GN&C development, from design through to unit, hardware-in-the-loop, on-vehicle functionality, and flight testing. You will contribute to a sophisticated multi-degree of freedom aerospace simulation and test framework, and develop and maintain design descriptions and supporting documentation.
You should be working in a fast-paced and sometimes uncertain environment, contributing to solutions, while demonstrating leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- B.S. degree in aerospace, mechanical, electrical engineering, physics, or related field with 5+ years of proven experience
- Knowledge in designing, modeling, testing, and flying aerospace GN&C systems
- Software and model development expertise, including design, V&V, testing, and configuration control, with emphasis in C++, Python, and MATLAB/Simulink coding
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to our inclusive culture.
- Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Demonstrated knowledge of multi-body dynamics, flexible body dynamics, gas dynamics, fluids, thermodynamics, and/or fluid slosh
- Proven experience with safety-critical software development in aerospace, automotive, or other industries. Familiar with standards such as DO-178.
- Knowledge of navigation sensors, including GNSS receivers, accelerometers, and gyroscopes.
- Experience anchoring/fitting first principles models to test data or high-fidelity external simulations using system identification or other numerical methods
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulation testing
- Experience supporting flight testing or launch operations
- Ability to continuously handle risk and use Agile software development techniques
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.