2024 Trajectory Optimizations Analyst
Colorado Springs, CO - El Segundo, CA, United States
15 days ago
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Trajectory Optimization Analyst will provide trajectory analysis and optimization support for spacecraft, launch, reentry vehicles, hypersonic vehicles, and missiles, for Earth-centric, cislunar, and occasionally interplanetary missions. This role will support conceptual design/technology assessments, pre-launch analysis for on-contract programs, launch and Mission Ops, and end-of-life phases.
Selected candidates will be expected to be technical leaders and provide critical insights to a wide range of customers. Selected candidate will exhibit the ability to be a subject matter expert to be a technical leader among engineering peers and key stakeholders and demonstrate the ability to critically think through situations and communicate effectively complex information to key stakeholders, both internal and external, with the expectation to capture new department customers and tasks.
This position will be located 100% onsite in El Segundo, CA or Colorado Springs, CO.
Performance standards to be successful in this position include:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt to changing organizational need
- Interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
- Demonstrate behavior that is consistent with the company’s values of Dedication to Mission Success, Technical Excellence, Commitment to Our People, Objectivity and Integrity, and Innovation
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Supporting the evolving US national space enterprise by developing and applying advanced techniques for solving flight mechanics, orbit mechanics, and astrodynamics problems
- Perform trajectory simulation and performance optimization of spacecraft, launch vehicles, upper stages, missiles, hypersonic vehicles, and reentry vehicles
- Implement optimization theory including calculus of variations approaches and/or non-linear programming
- Implement scripting techniques to perform parametric studies
- Utilize numerical methods (numerical integration, root-solving problems, coordinate transformations).
What You Need to be Successful
- Master’s degree from an accredited college/university program in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, Astronautical Engineering, Physics or Applied Mathematics or related discipline (pursuing or conferred within the last 12 months)
- 0-1 year of industry work experience
- Graduate Level Course work, research and/or experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Orbital mechanics, optimal control, flight mechanics, trajectory modeling and simulation
- Proficiency in one or more of the following programming languages: C , C++,Fortran, Python, MATLAB or experience in a Unix environment.
- Working knowledge of optimization theory as exemplified by using/building optimization tools (e.g. fmincon, SNOPT) or strong theoretical background
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance/Top Secret , which is issued by the US government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Ph.D. degree from an accredited program in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, Astronautical Engineering, Physics or Applied Mathematics (pursuing or conferred within the last 12 months)
- Graduate Level Course work, research and/or experience in both orbit mechanics and optimal control
- Proficiency in C and/or Fortran
- Hold and active TS/SSBI (SCI) clearance (applicant will be submitted for this clearance upon hiring if they do not currently possess it)
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)$71,000 - $101,400 - $160,000Pay Basis: Annual
Our leadership philosophy is simple: every employee, regardless of level and role, can demonstrate leadership. At Aerospace, our commitment is our people. To cultivate our talent and ensure that we have a strong pipeline of future leaders, we want individuals who:
- Operate Strategically
- Lead Change
- Engage with Impact
- Foster Innovation
- Deliver Results
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
Flexible spending accounts
Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
Education assistance programs
An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.