Avionics Embedded Controller Systems Engineer Senior - Lunar Transportation (R37610)
Seattle, WA, United States
15 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of the Lunar Transportation business unit, which develops Blue Origin’s multiple Blue Moon lander product lines. To further Blue Origin's mission of having millions of people living and working in space, we are building sustainable infrastructure for our transport of crew and cargo from Earth to the lunar surface.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth. As the Fuel Cell Embedded Controller Senior Systems Engineer, you will work with NASA as part of the Human Landing System (HLS) Sustaining Lunar Development (SLD) program. You will play a key role in developing the Lunar Transportation system that will return humans to the Moon and extend human presence permanently beyond the bounds of Earth.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead architecture decisions and develop product requirements for the Fuel Cell Controller for its Avionics Hardware, Flight Software, and Autonomy application
- Develop Concept of operations, sensor and actuator lists, performance requirements, and integration plans
- Responsible for reviewing, linking, and coordinating software and hardware requirements to subsystem/system requirements and evaluating them against the product level architecture for completeness, accuracy, verifiability, testability
- Provide products for major design reviews
- Represent the Fuel Cell team in avionics-related cross-functional trades, interface definition, and impact studies
- Coordinate in areas of vehicle configuration, flight sciences, hardware, software, system safety, supplier management, fault tolerance analysis / schemes, FMECA, FHA, and telemetry downlink / uplink
- Support the Development and maintenance of spacecraft/space vehicle I/O allocations
- Develop interface specifications, CONOPS definitions, architecture studies, and other design documents related to the Fuel Cell Generator component such as Electrical Power Systems, Flight Computing, Thermal, Fluids, etc.
- Work with Software and Hardware Engineers on procurement, verification planning, vehicle integration, system build and checkout, and operations support
- Work with suppliers and internal teams at Blue Origin to procure flight hardware
- Guide design development to meet DC-178/DO-254 certification
- Support the development and execution of ground and flight test operations
- Work in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail.
- B.S. degree or equivalent relevant experience in Aerospace, Electrical, Computer Science or related subject area
- 8+ years of experience in embedded controller development and testing
- Proven ability to interpret and apply high-level system requirements to practical design solutions for a complex physical assembly
- Expert knowledge of the principles, concepts, and methods of systems engineering such as concept development, requirement definition, design solution definition, design reviews, implementation, integration, verification and validation, qualification, commissioning, and operations
- Experience leading multidisciplinary technology development projects, including leading requirements, priorities, scope, schedule, and cost
- In depth experience with requirements management software such as Jama
- Experience working in a lab and test environment
- Self-starter and strong bias for action
- Strong safety mentality and experience
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Experience with human space vehicle software development and verification
- Experience with DO-178C and safety critical applications
- Hands-on experience installing and troubleshooting various electronic sensors and components
- Experience in developing and testing technically complex products such as fuel cells, automotive engines/powertrains, power generation, renewables
- Familiarity with analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters, power supply components and design, batteries, solar cells, RF systems, serial communication, and/or telemetry systems.
- Familiarity with fuel cell stacks, material selection, thermodynamics, fluids, and mechanical engineering principles
- Familiarity with radiation effects, EMI/EMC, thermal, etc.
- Experience with Agile project management and Jira software
- Experience with MS Project, P6 Primavera, or similar
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.