Optical Communications Engineer
Chantilly, VA, United States
22 days ago
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Communications and Signal Analysis Department (CSAD) performs analysis, modeling and simulation of radio/optical communication and signal collection systems. We support a multitude of space and intelligence customers in the prototyping, development, integration and testing of new capabilities ranging from new waveforms to new systems. An opportunity within CSAD for an Optical Communications Engineer is detailed below.
Work Model: This position is 100% on-site in Chantilly, VA with little to no telework available.
What You’ll Be Doing
- As part of a team, supporting the analysis, development, acquisition, integration and testing of advanced optical satellite communication and fiber-optic communication systems
- Performing technical studies and supporting optical communication systems development, prototyping, testing and integration, including supporting vendor verification testing.
- Supporting our Civil, DoD and intelligence community customers, including the National Reconnaissance Office
What You Need to be Successful – Member of Technical Staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics/Optics, or related technical discipline
- Coursework or otherwise experience in fiber-optics technology, optical systems, or free-space optical satellite communications links / network development and/or integration
- 2+ years of experience in optical communications link analysis, modeling & simulation tools/software, and lab experience with fiber-optic communication systems, or laser based optical/instrumentation systems
- Willing to travel domestically approximately 10% of the time
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required.
What You Need to be Successful – Senior Member of Technical Staff
- In addition to the requirements above, a total of 5+ years of experience in satellite communications links/network development and/or integration, or laser communication systems, or in laser-based optical systems for remote-sensing (lidar)
- Experience participating in or leading teams during the advanced development, integration and testing of advanced satellite communication systems
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline
- Experience with our customers and knowledge of National Technical Means
- Direct experience in the fiber-optic telecom industry, or in optical systems for lidar/imaging systems, or in Satellite Communications
- Proficient in either MATLAB, Python, C++ tools for communication systems, or commercial optical design or fiber-optic communication modeling and simulation tools
- Demonstrated strong analytical and team leadership and multi-tasking skills
- Active TS/SCI
Our leadership philosophy is simple: every employee, regardless of level and role, can demonstrate leadership. At Aerospace, our commitment is our people. To cultivate our talent and ensure that we have a strong pipeline of future leaders, we want individuals who:
- Operate Strategically
- Lead Change
- Engage with Impact
- Foster Innovation
- Deliver Results
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.