Sr. Avionics PCB Designer
Denver, CO, United States
22 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
The role is part of the In-Space Systems business unit, which is focused on development, manufacturing, and operation of satellite systems to address one of the most compelling challenges in spaceflight today: space mobility.
As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers, you will apply a deep understanding of digital, analog, mixed-signal, high-speed, and high-power PCB layout, and circuit design principles, including PCB stack-up, thermal management, conductor spacing, crosstalk, differential pairs, impedance matching and more for our avionics circuit designs for various spaceflight systems. This person will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of PCB Layout. In addition, you will effectively collaborate with hardware and software engineers to integrate firmware with other system components and ensure design requirements are met. This candidate will be able to communicate technical information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Relocation provided
- Travel expected up to 10-15% of the time
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design and layout of high-performance, high-reliability PCBs for aerospace applications
- Work with industry-leading software (e.g. Altium Designer) to create detailed schematics and layout design
- Ensure design and manufacturing practices implement industry standards and regulations
- Create and maintain technical documentation for PCB layout and design
- Fix and resolve any PCB design and layout issues
- Provide technical support and mentorship to junior engineers and technicians
- Contribute to electrical circuit designs and schematic reviews.
- Contribute to PCB/PCBA design reviews by providing DFM/DFA/DFT and similar valuable info.
- Develop and maintain board eCAD design libraries, including part footprints and related information.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency, dedication, and focus on the right priorities in each PCB design.
- Independently identify the general approach and provide reliable solutions to technical problems, including working through sophisticated PCB layouts and assemblies.
- Collaborate in defining PCB development process improvements (procedures and checklists).
- Check the quality of work of other layout resources, including internal and external resources.
- Mentor internal layout resources on PCB layout and Altium best practices.
Enter here Minimum Qualifications
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in PCB layout and design, specifically in the aerospace and defense industry
- Strong understanding of digital, analog, mixed-signal, and high-speed layout, and design
- Experience using industry-leading software such as Allegro, Altium Designer, Eagle PCB, Proteus, etc.
- Ability to draft detailed schematics and layout design
- Familiarity with industry standards and regulations such as IPC-6012 Class 3
- Knowledge and use of PCB standard design, manufacturing, and testing, methodologies, including PCB assembly to IPC Class 3 standards.
- High-speed, impedance-controlled stack-up, multi-layer board layout design
- Fine pitch BGA routing, including blind buried vias.
- Sophisticated analog and digital signal routing.
- Multi-rail power delivery and high-speed signal integrity constraints.
- Design constraint management, including trace length matching, spacing rules, etc.
- Draft and maintain symbol/footprint libraries.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong task ownership, someone who demonstrates pride in all work.
- Experience using and creating electrical design specifications.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as team, throughout the development and production phases of the mechanical and electronic assembly product lifecycle
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Certifications such as:
- CID (Certified Interconnect Designer)
- CIS (Certified IPC Specialists)
- CSE (Certified Standards Expert)
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.