SR Integrated Product Team Lead - Engines
Los Angeles, CA, United States
22 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
This role is part of the Blue Origin Engines business unit, where our focus is the design, development,
manufacturing and testing of engines and propulsion systems. Built for multiple uses, our family of engines is powering
the next generation of rockets for commercial, civil, national security and human spaceflight.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will lead and guide an integrated product team supporting one of our Blue Engine programs. Our engines are being developed to support affordable, low-cost access to space. This role will manage the overall scope, schedule, budget and risk for the system/sub-system assigned to your IPT. The scope spans product development, qualification for flight, transitioning hardware to rate production, and supporting robust commercial flight operations including managing maintenance, repair and product upgrades/ improvements. Customer and Government contractor interaction will be required. Our product-based teams support the early development and definition, lead the design of critical hardware and software, develop operational plans and procedures, support tooling and fabrication design, risk management and work with assembly and operations personnel to test and deliver our engines within schedule and budget. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
This single job description is valid for all positions and additional criteria may be applied for particular technical areas.
- Own the overall lifecycle of your assigned product scope from development through qualification/rate production to successful commercial flight operations
- Report to the program manager and be accountable for program planning, execution, and on-time delivery of products & supporting artifacts for your assigned product scope
- Coordinate the efforts of your cross-functional integrated product team comprised of Engines engineering, Program Planning & Control, manufacturing/production engineering, production, tooling, quality, component test, engine test
- Provide program constraints and guidance to your integrated product team
- Communicate status, critical paths, challenges, and recommended solutions
- Manage overall scope of your IPT, including execution aligned with Blue processes or an approved tailored approach
- Develop and support the maintenance of a resource loaded schedule
- Track and manage your IPT budget, and both unit product cost/life cycle cost
- Manage technical and programmatic risks/opportunities, including identifying, documenting, communicating, developing mitigation plans and driving outcomes program acceptable levels
- Support requirement decomposition and allocation, systems engineering, technical design, analysis, and verification/validation
- Oversee documented Non-Conformances (NCs), reports, drawing release, work orders, and test planning for your IPT
- Facilitate support from Blue Origin Support Functions: Operations, Integrated Supply Chain (ISC), Test and Flight Ops (TFO), Safety and Mission Assurance (S&MA) and other support organization
- Passion for Blue Origin’s mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Engineering
- 7+ years liquid rocket engine, military/commercial turbine engine, spacecraft, launch vehicle, or aircraft systems development experience
- 2+ years in progressive project management roles
- Demonstrated technical expertise in one or more of the following: Military/commercial turbine engines/components, liquid rocket engines/components, aerospace fluid/mechanical systems in disciplines including systems engineering, controls, software, manufacturing, integration and test
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing small teams on fast-paced hardware development projects
- Experience with logic-linked scheduling and cost-account management
- Experience with risk management, configuration management, requirements management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Formal project management training or certification
- Experience across multiple portions of the product life cycle
- Experience with human spaceflight or high-performance aircraft systems
- Experience with Primavera (P6), CREO, Windchill, Confluence, Jira
- Experience with proposal leadership or support (technical/management volumes, BOE development, etc.)
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.