Space Resources Scrum Master/Systems Engineer III
Los Angeles, CA, United States
11 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This position is part of the Space Systems Development (SSD) business unit. SSD is Blue Origin’s advanced development arm dedicated to developing mission architectures, creating, and feeding new technologies into our existing offerings, building our next generation of leaders, and commercializing new platforms that fuel Blue Origin’s growth and further its mission. Our work scope is broad and deep, forging the path toward our vision of millions of people living and working in space.
We believe that to preserve our planet, humanity must expand beyond our limits, venturing into space to explore and discover new energy and material resources.
In pursuit of this vision, we invite you to join our dynamic Space Resources Program. We're dedicated to developing and demonstrating In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) technologies for the Moon and beyond. If our mission resonates with you and you're eager to contribute, you could be the perfect addition to our inclusive, open-minded, and forward-thinking team.
As part of a hardworking team of diverse specialists, technicians, and engineers, as Scrum Master/Systems Engineer, you will play a crucial role in all phases of our rapid product development cycle, from conceptualization to formal design, implementation, environmental testing, and final integration.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
In this hands-on role, you will work entirely onsite at our Los Angeles Facility with the Space Resources Program team. We're seeking a dynamic Scrum Master/System Engineer to join our Agile Hardware Development team. You will play a crucial role in all phases of our rapid product development cycle, from conceptualization to formal design, implementation, environmental testing, and final integration. The successful candidate will facilitate the optimal functioning of our Agile teams, maintaining strict adherence to the Scrum methodology and fostering an environment of high productivity and continuous improvement. This role requires exceptional knowledge of Agile principles and the Scrum framework, the ability to address and overcome roadblocks for the team, facilitate and moderate meetings and reviews, enforce processes, and manage retrospective sessions.
We work in fast-paced cycles of design, analysis, and integration to deliver a scalable solution. We're looking for someone adaptable, willing to take action, eager to learn, and committed to safety and quality. Your creativity, innovative spirit, and ability to navigate changing requirements are crucial.
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, or Systems Engineering, Physics, or an equivalent technical field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a relevant field.
- Strong knowledge of Scrum and Agile principles and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a referee, enforcing the Scrum process and Agile principles while remaining neutral to technical and strategic input.
- Proven ability to strictly maintain and manage the Scrum schedule, ensuring timely completion of tasks, sprints, and project goals.
- Proven ability to proactively remove impediments that hinder team progress.
- Experience in collaborating with multiple teams and aligning with overall business objectives.
- Capability to identify improvement opportunities and develop detailed improvement plans.
- Proven track record in monitoring project outcomes, determining performance metrics, evaluating the success of Scrum and Agile methodologies/processes, and leading continuous improvement initiatives.
- Familiarity with Systems Engineering principles and their execution.
- Flight hardware or product experience in at least one focused subject area such as electrical hardware, mechanisms, thermal, structures, avionics, fluids, ground support, etc.
- Proven ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- Capacity to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- M.S. in a relevant field.
- 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Developed and delivered space flight hardware.
- Experience in aerospace technology development and maturing it through TRL 4-6.
- Experience in requirements management.
- Experience in managing risks and opportunities.
- Experience with planetary surface missions and vehicles.
- Knowledge in high-current and high-temperature systems.
- Experience in continuous improvement, lean methodologies, and process improvement in a hardware development environment.
- Ability to lead workflow and performance optimization initiatives.
- Experience in process and tools management.
- Experience in product development, including documenting process changes, lessons learned, and design rules.
- Experience with software tools such as Jama, DOORS Next Generation, Python, MATLAB/Simulink, Confluence, JIRA, Git, Creo, and Windchill.
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.