Senior Flight Software Engineer - Space Systems Development (R37398)
Seattle, WA, United States
10 days ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This position is part of the Space Systems Development (SSD) business unit. SSD is Blue Origin’s advanced development arm dedicated to developing mission architectures, creating, and feeding new technologies into our existing offerings, building our next generation of leaders, and commercializing new platforms that fuel Blue Origin’s growth and further its mission. Our work scope is broad and deep, forging the path toward our vision of millions of people living and working in space.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team, you will contribute to the design of the flight software for future space vehicles. You will also be responsible for leading the team tasked with developing flight software responsible for the overall command and control of a space vehicle. This includes defining architectures and requirements, coordination of team activities, and leadership of development and verification planning. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration, and your dedicated commitment and detailed attention will further the cause of safe and repeatable spaceflight.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop application software source code utilizing C/C++ best practices for various space vehicle functions.
- Evaluate, decompose, and create requirements for safety-critical, real-time operating systems
- Perform trade studies on platform software architecture and implementation
- Author unit tests, documentation, and participate in code reviews
- Support the vehicle Fault Management and Autonomy to establish integrated vehicle autonomous behaviors, modes, and states
- Integrate application flight software components, create and run unit tests, validate on Hardware-in-the-Loop and simulation environments
- Support the integrated product manager to identify and track program and technical risk, develop and maintain schedule, resource allocation, and budget
- B.S. degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, aerospace, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years of software development and testing experience including multi-threaded programming
- Demonstrated effective communication skills with program and executive leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in requirement derivation, management and verification
- Experience with Agile software development processes
- Experience in build automation, continuous integration, configuration management, verification, deployment of software
- Demonstrated software development skills in real-time systems, particularly in C/C++
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- Experience in full life cycle software development of real-time embedded system, including system design and analysis, requirement capture and development, software implementation and verification, system integration, qualification, and releasing.
- Experience developing safety critical products utilizing NPR 7150.2, DO-178, or other safety-critical software standard.
- Experience in autonomy, sequencers, state machines, and/or fault management in a mission- or safety-critical environment
- Understanding of spacecraft system and subsystem functions, and their interfaces
- Experience with Embedded Linux or equivalent real time operating systems.
- Experience operating integrated hardware-in-the-loop lab environments.
- Experience working on avionics, satellite, or space flight systems.
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.