Fuel Cell Stack Electrochemical Engineer Senior - Lunar Transportation (R37572)
Seattle, WA, United States
4 months ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of the Lunar Transportation business unit, which develops Blue Origin’s multiple Blue Moon lander product lines. To further Blue Origin's mission of having millions of people living and working in space, we are building sustainable infrastructure for our transport of crew and cargo from Earth to the lunar surface.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. You will work directly with NASA as part of the Human Landing System (HLS) Sustaining Lunar Development (SLD) program. You will play a key role in developing the Lunar Transportation system that will return humans to the Moon and extend human presence permanently beyond the bounds of Earth.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Relocation provided
- Travel expected up to 25% of the time
- Interviews will include a technical assessment
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead multi-year plans to increase technical performance, improve reliability, and bring down cost of fuel cell stacks for space-rated power systems
- Act as the principal investigator and Subject Matter Expert (SME) for fuel cell development activities funded internally and/or contracted through NASA Research Centers. Effectively communicate development status, risks, and challenges to Fuel Cell Senior Manager and Lunar business unit management.
- Work directly with the Fuel Cell Senior Manager to recommend new project initiatives, supplier relationships, and technology maturation strategies. Work directly with the Fuel Cell team leadership to implement these items on funded programs.
- Lead fuel cell stack architecture trades, test data analysis, and electrochemical model development
- Define test campaigns that meet overall technology maturation objectives
- Define specialized facilities and equipment to complete technology maturation activities
- Manage budgets, schedules, WBS, and program plans to ensure development hardware is delivered to support various tasks
- Select appropriate partnerships with suppliers that complement in-house capabilities
- Oversee hands-on fuel cell stack testing in-house, at suppliers, and at government facilities
- Author and present technical memos that convey technology maturation progress to senior leadership
- Work with suppliers and internal teams at Blue Origin to procure flight hardware
- Work in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail.
- B.S. degree or equivalent experience in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, or related technical subject areas
- 8+ years of experience in fuel cell research, development, and testing
- 2+ years of experience in project/portfolio/program management
- Experience leading multidisciplinary technology development projects, including leading requirements, priorities, scope, schedule, and cost
- In depth understanding of fuel cell stack electrochemistry, material selection, thermodynamics, fluids, and mechanical engineering principles.
- Experience gathering and using data to anchor and develop analytical methods.
- Self-starter and strong bias for action
- Experience working in a lab and test environment
- Strong safety mentality and experience
- Experience with interpreting and generating Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Familiarity with the principles, concepts, and methods of systems engineering such as concept development, requirement definition, design solution definition, design reviews, implementation, integration, verification and validation, qualification, commissioning, and operations
- Excellent verbal, written, and graphical communication skills.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- M.S. or Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, or related technical subject areas
- Experience in developing space-rated hardware from low TRL through flight
- Experience in developing and testing technically complex products such as fuel cells, automotive engines/powertrains, power generation, renewables
- Experience with Project Management Tools such as MS Project, P6 Primavera, or similar
- Familiarity with thermal and fluid system components (e.g., valves, regulators, heat exchangers, and pumps for propellants, coolants, and other fluids)
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink, Thermal Desktop, ANSYS, SINDA/FLUINT including model validation and test correlation
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.