SLD Senior Avionics Systems Engineer - Lunar Transportation
Space Coast, FL, United States
4 months ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is part of the Lunar Transportation business unit. To further Blue Origin's mission of having millions of people living and working in space, we are building the sustainable infrastructure for our transport of crew and cargo from Earth to the Lunar Surface.
Blue Origin is committed to building a future where millions of people live and work in space to benefit Earth. We must return to the Moon permanently, and the Blue Moon Lander enables this goal. Blue Moon is a large, flexible, reusable commercial lander for cargo or crew. Lunar Transportation is Blue Origin’s team dedicated to developing mission architectures such as our planned Lunar Lander program, Blue Moon (Link: https://www.blueorigin.com/blue-moon ). Our Lunar Pathfinder mission will demonstrate the lander’s core capabilities – including the privately funded BE-7 landing engine, precision landing sensors, and advanced integrated power and propulsion architecture – on an early New Glenn flight. The team building this vehicle is rethinking how space systems are designed, with a high-performing architecture, efficient reusability, and rapid design iteration. Come join our team and pave the road to a permanent lunar presence.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- B.S. degree or higher in an applicable field (electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, etc.)
- Successful candidates in this role typically have 8+ years of related experience.
- Proven ability to interpret and apply high-level system requirements to practical design solutions
- In depth knowledge of systems engineering practices (e.g., requirements development; standard verification methods; functional decomposition; standard diagramming techniques; risk and opportunity management)
- Experience with developing and interpreting safety requirements and deliverables such as Functional Hazard Assessments (FHA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- “Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Master of Science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related disciplines.
- 10+ years industry experience on large engineering systems
- Experience designing and developing flight proven spacecraft hardware
- Hands-on experience installing and troubleshooting various electronic sensors and components.
- Knowledge of and experience in analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters, power supply components and design, batteries, solar cells, RF systems, serial communication, and/or telemetry systems.
- Proficiently using software tools such as Matlab or Python.
- Experience with harnessing and component packaging
- Experience with requirements management software (DNG or JAMA preferred)
- Experience developing products at any stage from early trade studies through final design, manufacturing, and test
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.